Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"sneezerboi" posted a thread on the old site entitled:

"Will an '05 WRX suspension fit an '04 Forester?"

Anyone know if he has rejoined with a new username?

He went ahead with the install & I would really like to know what he thinks about it now!

His details were:

sneezerboi - Joined: 28 Apr 2004 - Posts: 97 - Location: Kapolei, HI

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
sneezerboi = The Daddy Wagon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Forestier.
The struts and springs were from an '05 WRX sedan. If you were to do a WRX suspension swap, I'd recommend doing so w/the wagon springs in the rear just because of the stiffer rear springs rates. I never really loaded up the rear with the '05 sedan suspension so I couldn't tell you if it sagged, but I would imagine it would.

Ride quality is not bad at all. It's more firm than stock, but nowhere near rough or punishing. You shouldn't have any complaints in that department. Are you still going to be using your stock 16" wheels/tires? if so, your ride should still be comfortable.

I began my project w/USDM STi springs on the stock Forester struts. Not a great idea. The springs rates and the struts were not matched for each other, thus shortening the life of the struts. The rear would especially bottom out on larger bumps/potholes.

This is when I sourced an '05 WRX Sedan suspension and swapped that in. Huge difference in ride quality from my previous setup. MUCH more comfortable while handling wasn't sacrificed. Couple that w/a thicker rear swaybar + endlinks as well as better tires and you've got yourself a pretty fun ride.

I have since traded in my '04 FXT for an '05 FXT and have the full USDM STi suspension, rear swaybar, along w/the 17" Gold BBS and Potenza RE070 tires from an STi and the handling is AWESOME! The thing corners like it's on rails while staying relatively flat. The only downside is the ride quality. It's pretty firm, mostly due to the stiff sidewalls on the RE070s. I regularly compete in SOLO II autocross so I don't really care about the ride quality.

I've driven my car w/the STi suspension and the stock 16" wheels/tires and actually liked the ride. It was firm, but not punishing.

This is what my '04 FXT looked like w/the '05 WRX suspension:

btw, I still have my full '05 Forester suspension w/less than 800 miles on them if you're still interested. I'd really like to sell them as a set of 4. PM me your offer. Anything reasonable would be considered.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply - this kind of feedback really helps! :D

Ian

P.S. Will PM re. 05 suspension

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So just to get this straight. The 05 wrx suspension just bolts right up?

If so that's great because the newer it is the less milage it ussually has, and no one seems to want to buy the 05's because they don't work, so the prices can be bargained like crazy.

Bland...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts