Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2004 Forester XS, and am in the market for a new radio. The 6 disc changer is toast.

Any ideas? I've noticed some people in new WRX's installing the new forester radio. Like this one.

Any idea if this will work? I'm open to getting the same foactory unit that we currently have, but if I can get Bluetooth capabilities that would be huge.

Thanks so much for any help in advance, much appreciated!

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 X w/PZEV 4EAT
283 Posts
Actually the standard Subaru radio (from the 2009-2013 SH series, anyway) is a bit wider than standard double DIN. My 2012 came with a Clarion radio that looks kind of like the one in your picture, but without the big display screen. I took it out and replaced it with a standard double DIN size radio. It fits, but there is a 1/2" gap along the left and right sides between the radio and the trim piece.

The standard OEM nav unit IS double-din, I believe. Vehicles equipped with that unit came with a different trim piece with slightly wider sides. Most of us who upgrade our non-nav radios also order that trim piece to fill in the gap.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the standard Subaru radio (from the 2009-2013 SH series, anyway) is a bit wider than standard double DIN. My 2012 came with a Clarion radio that looks kind of like the one in your picture, but without the big display screen. I took it out and replaced it with a standard double DIN size radio. It fits, but there is a 1/2" gap along the left and right sides between the radio and the trim piece.

The standard OEM nav unit IS double-din, I believe. Vehicles equipped with that unit came with a different trim piece with slightly wider sides. Most of us who upgrade our non-nav radios also order that trim piece to fill in the gap.
So going from a true double din to the 2012 or so NAV units wont work sinc eit wider? hmmm ok

·
Registered
2001 Forester
107 Posts
Just (as in last weekend) replaced the 6 disk in my 2001 with the double din Pioneer fh-x700bt (~$110 on amazon). Took a bit of soldering of the included harness and a ($6 harness from Amazon) but the actual install was painless and the radio works well (as long as you use custom color and dial down the brightness). Does bluetooth, USB MP3, etc. Original radio mounts work fine with it.

Does not seem to work with the factory subwoofer, but that apparently is to be expected.

·
Registered
2012 X w/PZEV 4EAT
283 Posts
So going from a true double din to the 2012 or so NAV units wont work sinc eit wider? hmmm ok
Going from a true double DIN unit to the 2009-2013 *nav unit* should be fine since the standard nav unit appears to be a regular double DIN unit.

But the NON-nav unit is wider than standard double DIN spacing by about an inch.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i ended up getting the same 6 disc changer for our 2004 from ebay, but its from a 2006 car.

should be fine, but i've heard i need a code. The seller did give me their VIN, and mentioned Ill need to contact the dealer.

But searches online show no code is needed, but those people all are reinstalling their own stereos, never one from a different car.

ANy help? will i need a code?

thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts