Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved to snow country, and quickly noticed that 1 out of 4 cars was a Subaru. Took the hint and bought a new, bare-bones basic 2018 Forester with 2.5L boxer engine and 6-speed manual transmission (or "millennial anti-theft device", as the dealer termed it...).

Looking for info on engine noise (this thing is pretty loud at ~ 2600rpm under light/no load) and possible engine oil options (my Kia got a lot quieter when I replaced the 5w-20 with 5w-30).

Cool ride. Glad I bought one before the 6MT went away.

Beuford

·
Registered
249 Posts
these modern subaru engines use their 0w20 oil, if you will change it yourself use instead a 5w30 full synthetic such as pennzoil platinum, and instead of the subaru filter ; internally it is a standard Fram filter[ use instead a high flow oil filter made for synthetics, a wix xp or the clone napa version napa platinum filter , or purolator Boss and even a fram ultra[ which is unlike any of their other crappy filters, the oil filters allow for more oil flow , and the 30w top end will be thicker and engine more quiet, so a 0w30 or 5w30 and betetr oil filter, BUt since your car is under warranty, and subaru is picky, you may ask them if they also can use 5w30 or 0w30

1 - 5 of 5 Posts