Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester R4AX-EL EC8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e had my account for a couple months, but I'm just getting around to knowing the vehicle I am working on. This one is a '99 Forester.

Our goal at the moment is to make the 2002 transmission we are in possession of work in the '99 vehicle. The obstacle we are trying to tackle right now is the wiring does not mesh in a couple places (speed sensor, ABS system). We have been unable to locate info online on the subject, and thought we would check in with you guys!

The direct question would be, If I install a 4EAT tranny from a 2002 Forester into a 1999 Forester, do I need to transfer the ABS control unit as well? The TCU harness is a match, but will it work?

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
From my knowledge, the two cars use virtually the same transmissions. If the TCU matches then the car's TCU should be able to read the signals from the transmission just fine. The only time this isn't the case is if you were trying to install an automatic transmission from a VDC-equipped Subaru model.

Some of the ABS sensor plugs wire into the cars differently over the years, but are otherwise the same.
In short, switching to a MY02 Forester 4EAT in your MY99 Forester 4EAT will work problem free without swapping anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts