Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got lots of time checking out the Subaru in snow - 14" in 4 hours with 40+ MPH winds.

My wife and child were stuck in it for 5 hours because of other stuck motorists. Once the cars were cleared, it got them home safely and through a large snowdrift in our driveway.

I was stuck on the backroads in a mini van. We were actually fearful for our lives.

It was a nightmare here. People were abandoning their cars in the middle of the road and walking to houses for shelter.

The Forester was like a little goat in the snow and ice! We are trading the mini van for another one this summer.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
wife had ZERO issues in hers. drove to work in it and back home with not one slip...

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the worst part was the traffic jams. If you had a clear shot, you could move, but so many people were stopping on hills, slamming on the brakes on long hills, and generally freaking out.

The icing was so bad here, that even with my windshield de-icers on, and full heat to the defroster, each wiper quickly became a club of ice. Everyone was stopping in the middle of the interstate tryng to clear their wipers. That caused a lot of wrecks, because others were running into them in the blinding (sideways) snow.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
6 Posts
We just did I-35 from Dallas to OKC and saw the leftover debris strewn along the highway. Common theme: smashed front ends. MUCH worse up here than it was in Dallas.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I think the worst part was the traffic jams. If you had a clear shot, you could move, but so many people were stopping on hills, slamming on the brakes on long hills, and generally freaking out.
In NM, they do all of the above when it starts to sprinkle. I think we need a "drivers education" overhaul throughout the country.

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
I would have thought that most people would have stayed home when they heard snow was coming. Don't you usually get like 2" at a time?
nope they hardly get any snow here... and when they do... its a joke to watch these people drive.

sad part is when its dry 90+ degrees they still cant drive...like i said my wife got around in the middle of the storm with no problems...

·
Registered
2010 Forester XL
46 Posts
We had six inches here in Western North Carolina and the biggest problem for me was the other drivers driving too fast or too slow. i.e. ******** in 4x4's "going for a drive" and everyone else driving too slow.
I couldn't make the Forester slide or anything. Worked excellently.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's right Dental FlossTycoon,

It's the people freaking out and being really dumb that causes most the problems. This is our first AWD and it sure seems better than a straight 4WD.

For instance, at the crown of a particular hill, my big 4WD F250 would spin a little, before gaining traction, if I stopped. But the Subaru starts from that same dead spot without any wheel slip.

Another place I noticed a difference was in a parking lot. I nosed into a shiny sheet of ice slightly down hill. I thought to myself, "oops, I'll never back outa here." But, it walked out without so much as a slip!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru WRX STI
9 Posts
We had six inches here in Western North Carolina and the biggest problem for me was the other drivers driving too fast or too slow. i.e. ******** in 4x4's "going for a drive" and everyone else driving too slow.
I couldn't make the Forester slide or anything. Worked excellently.
You are correct dental_floss, a few weeks ago we got 10" here north of Charlotte. I drove in it (08 STI) but 77 and 40 were absolutely crazy. I saw jeeps, pickups, vans, cars, all over the damn highway. I saw 3 jeeps rolled over. In 10 miles that i drove, there were probably 30 some cars abandoned or wrecked on the sides of the highways. Most of them the ******** in thier trucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.