Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
I'm not a turbo master but I will tell you what I do know. You can get a used td04 in fine condition for far under $200 here or on Nasioc. I'd recommend buying here, there are a bunch of people who have them and it shouldn't be hard to get one used.

If you put any other turbo on there you are going to need both exhaust and engine management/tuning upgrades, which will easily cost you in the $1000 range or more, depending on if you go used or new.

So if you want to spend a small amount, find a used td04. If you want to spend big, don't buy a new td04 - for the same price as the $1100 you quoted (which is robbery btw), you can get an good used upgraded turbo, exhaust, and tune, if you shop around.

·
Registered
04 XT
169 Posts
if its not the same as the stock turbo then you will need a retune or some sort of engine management..simpe as that..you put your motor at risk putting in a different turbo without tuning

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
An '05 FXT, 5-speed... If I simply removed the original turbo, and replaced it with this TD05 02-06 Subaru WRX Godspeed TD05 Big 16g Turbo - Direct bolt on what should I expect? Will it work without tuning? Looking for a quick and easy replacement for a blown one, and having a hard time finding a TD04 (unless I want to speend $1100+ at the dealership.)

Thanks!
You must get tuned if you do this. Boost control won't be right, and you will be in load ranges that are previously uncalibrated. I recommend that you find a used TD04 like greentrees suggested or find a tuner in your area if you want to go bigger.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Not sure I agree with the above, the boost control will be a little too agresive with the bigger lazier turbo which will slow spool even more, but no biggy, the fuel will be matched to the same AFR via the MAF, which is anything will be too rich with a bigger turbo, and at most you'll gain about 6bhp putting it well into the 'why bother' category, so in summary, if its a straight swap you'll gain little power but loose response and low speed boost.

Simon

·
Registered
'05 FXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure I agree with the above, the boost control will be a little too agresive with the bigger lazier turbo which will slow spool even more, but no biggy, the fuel will be matched to the same AFR via the MAF, which is anything will be too rich with a bigger turbo, and at most you'll gain about 6bhp putting it well into the 'why bother' category, so in summary, if its a straight swap you'll gain little power but loose response and low speed boost.

Simon
"Why bother" is that the TD05s are easier to find than TD04s. ;)

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
TD04's are quite easy to find, so not sure what the issue is there.

I'd really recommend some sort of tune, but w/out at least a downpipe, you're not looking at gaining much power by going to the bigger turbo.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
STI comes with VF39/43/48, and have the same downpipe. So with a tune I'd say there is 75 or so hp (at the crank, maybe 55 at the wheels) to be had with a VF turbo or similar TD05.

TD04's are quite easy to find, so not sure what the issue is there.

I'd really recommend some sort of tune, but w/out at least a downpipe, you're not looking at gaining much power by going to the bigger turbo.

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
i have a tdo4 with 45k on it in my garage right now. went with a ev0316g upgrade. ill sell it you for 150 shipped

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
"Why bother" is that the TD05s are easier to find than TD04s. ;)
not really, it's quite the opposite actually...

spend 15 minutes on nasioc and i guarantee you'll find one without a problem...i did a few months ago when my stocker went at 115k.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
STI comes with VF39/43/48, and have the same downpipe. So with a tune I'd say there is 75 or so hp (at the crank, maybe 55 at the wheels) to be had with a VF turbo or similar TD05.
Very valid point.

Still, for the extra $100 a used DP cost you, and the potential gains, if you're going to pay to get it tuned, why not.

·
Registered
'05 FXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a tdo4 with 45k on it in my garage right now. went with a ev0316g upgrade. ill sell it you for 150 shipped
PM'd...

not really, it's quite the opposite actually...

spend 15 minutes on nasioc and i guarantee you'll find one without a problem...i did a few months ago when my stocker went at 115k.
Might be a question of timing, have seen very few there and they go quick. Looking at ebay, searching "Subaru Turbocharger" you get a LOT more upgrade turbos, TD05s, T3T4s, etc. I've thought about upgrading, just don't have the time and $$$ at the moment, and it seems engine management is the first step for that too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts