Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the first summer at Outer Banks with my new Forester. I would love to drive north of Corolla on the beach and have a tailgate-style beach party one of the days.
Although I have complete confidence in my Forester, I've never driven on the beach in any vehicle. Website research suggests to have a true 4x4 and that AWD vehicles with lower ground clearance aren't recommended. "Rue" handled the 2 feet of snow in PA just fine last week so does anyone out there have experience with sand?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
You must pressure down your tires and maintain your momentum. You should be fine but there are never guarantees when it comes to sand, if applicable stick to the areas that are already driven on. The wetter sand near the ocean (not talking in the surf here) is much better for traction. Get going and don't stop til you reach the damper sand, same for the way out. Oh and put air back in your tires and hose off the car.

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
This will be the first summer at Outer Banks with my new Forester. I would love to drive north of Corolla on the beach and have a tailgate-style beach party one of the days.
Although I have complete confidence in my Forester, I've never driven on the beach in any vehicle. Website research suggests to have a true 4x4 and that AWD vehicles with lower ground clearance aren't recommended. "Rue" handled the 2 feet of snow in PA just fine last week so does anyone out there have experience with sand?
No problem. And when you've driven north as far as you can go, this is what you'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Subaru's love sand,air down(15/18psi),maintain momentum over the soft pack(dry) till your on the hard pack(wet/damp) and you'll be fine.

Wash the undercarriage real good after,sand has salt in it.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Yup! The Fozzie does fine. I took my 09 out there during the summer, and had no problems whatsoever! It was a great experience

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
I have had both my foz and legacy on florida beaches with no problems, without airing down either.

·
Registered
03 Forester Automatic
135 Posts
Turn off the VDC???
Yes. Driving on the sand is about maintaining momentum and floating on top. You don't get traction in soft loose sand, you get stuck. I know you've read this over and over but, AIR DOWN. If you can start your trip north of Corolla at low tide, all the better. It's eleven miles to the Va. border so it wouldn't hurt to take a shovel, jack, some boards, D-shackels and a heavy, long nylon snatch strap. If you get bogged and have this, you may find someone willing to help. If you have to call for a tow it's BIG $$$$$.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven't taken the Foz on the beach, but I've been to OBX in my old Jeep and have done a fair bit of off-roading elsewhere. I saw many "lesser" vehicles than your Forester out on the beach. Some got stuck, some didn't. It depends a lot on the driver. If you've lost all forward momentum in the soft stuff, know when to get out and assess the situation. There's "stuck" and then there's "STUCK!!!" If you're in the latter category it's probably because you sat there spinning your tires and digging in.

Add a $15 12V air pump to carbonyl's list. This way you can air up when you get back to pavement.

Bring a big stack of quarters and hit the coin-op car wash on the way home. Nothing tears up your ride like sand and salt. It will get everywhere.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Sounds like great fun!

My only other recommendation would be to pick up a tow strap in case you do end up needing a yank. Familiarize yourself with the recovery points on your SH (I'm unsure of them) so that if you do need a pull, you don't look like an idiot trying to figure out where to strap to. :lol:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
There's "stuck" and then there's "STUCK!!!" If you're in the latter category it's probably because you sat there spinning your tires and digging in.
I've been in the latter category... took 3 guys and an hour of shoveling to free the dug-in, high-centered Foz. Bring a shovel just in case...

·
Registered
38 Posts
THIS is what i was looking for.

Great info here yall, thanks. If it can handle OBX it can probably handle Carloina beach without much issue either.

Inner debate settled, a forester is in my near future.:banana:

BTW, Ive played on OBX in a honda Element... i was scared like no other the entire time... stupid honda realtime 4wd system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts