Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Forester S 5MT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the back seat to run wire for my sub and found this. Somehow, oil managed it's way under my back seat. It smells of gas. Possible solutions? This caught me completely off guard

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Do you have more pics of it on the brace? Any way you can confirm if it's gas or oil? Both? The back seat is right above the fuel tank. Not sure how oil would get there...

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS auto
640 Posts
if you have, or had a severe oil leak from engine or transmission, and a hole in the sheet metal, air flow will drag it backwards and could cause this

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
We had something like this on another post in the past. Some oil was spilled from a container.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
We had something like this on another post in the past. Some oil was spilled from a container.
Almost certainly this is the case. Remove the spare tire and search that area. Also, look in the cubby holes in the trunk area.

·
Registered
1992 Forester S 5MT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the spare tire in at all. And was in the cubbyholes for tools. They're both clean. I'm thinking maybe it's fuel that caused the lining on the body to deteriorate, making it look like oil. The fuel line runs right next to the area I found this. May have busted at one point and been replaced, but the fuel wasn't cleaned out entirely. Still unsure though

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,250 Posts
If it smells like gas, perhaps the fuel pump, or other in tanks parts were removed for service & whoever did it was overly sloopy, letting the gas drip off the parts in that area. :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts