Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:icon_question: I have a 1998 Forester with 48K miles. I am seeing some of the owners are using Mobil 1 0-40 syn oil. what is the advantage of using that or other recommendations?? It has always been noisy when first starting up. would this help that problem??B][/B]

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I noticed a slight reduction in piston slap when I put Rotella T6 5w-40 in our 1999. Though, it has a pretty bad case of it.

I run a thicker oil for a variety of reasons. First, Rotella T6 is a very stout synthetic widely available for a very reasonable price. Second, the bearings on a higher mileage vehicle will have opened up a few thousandths over the years and the thicker oil provides better protection. Finally, I already use it in our 2011 Impreza and my 2009 STI, so I buy it in bulk and it's already around.

Both of our other Subies run great with it (with UOAs to back it up). I first only used it in the Forester for one oil change because it was leaking enough to make it cost prohibitive to keep adding that oil, so it was filled with cheap-o Autozone 5w-30 until I fixed all the oil leaks. I'm still on the first oil change after the repairs.

Everyone has their own opinion on what oil is best for a particular engine. I go off experience and hard numbers (UOAs) from myself and others to make my decision, and you should too.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
218 Posts
I've noticed enough lag & unwillingness to rev with Rotella to not use it again. The car just wasn't the same.

Frankly with only 48k on the engine, at this point in it's life you could use anything within spec.

I recently ran 0w40 Mobil and am waiting on a UOA. Most people run heavier weights because the design on the engine makes it prone to shearing oil to bits. So in other words a cheaper 5w30 may shear to a high 20 by the time a oil change is due. So some find it prudent to go one grade up.

My personal fav is Mobil 1 AFE 0w30, stays in grade, doesn't shear and provides good flow on those winter mornings. Castrol 0w30 is another one as well.

Valvoline Maxlife is another oil which is really stout.

Make the decision for yourself based on whats cost effective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts