Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread in the hopes that those folks that have the capability will list their oil temperatures and corresponding coolant temperatures. I think it would be helpful for those that don't have coolant temperatures indicated and the vast majority of us that do not have oil temperatures.

It would be great to have graphs during engine heatup and cooldown but during steady state driving conditions, single data points would be fine.

I would suggest including the following as a minimum with the data/graphs:
Engine and year.
Outside air temp
AC on or off
Conditions: example going up or down, or no hill. (the % load or throttle position on the scan gage would be helpful).

This is just a first attempt. If the Moderators don't scrap the thread, I'll refine it. I think it will be very entertaining.

·
Registered
03 Forester 2.5X 4 Speed Auto
674 Posts
I don't have anything in the way of measuring oil temp, but I could provide coolant temps if needed

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,508 Posts
The oil temperature in my '07 FSXT runs very close to the coolant temperature... say 5 to 10°F higher. Perhaps this is the reason Subaru opted for just a coolant temperature gauge. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Automatic
28 Posts
I recently got an OBD II reader and while using Dash Commander app I decided to monitor my temps while taking trips on the highway. My coolant temp is about 190f steady, my atf temp stays around 180f but my oil temp has gone up to 270F while doing 70mph with outside weather being 80f on cruise control, sometimes jumping to 280, which is why I was online and found this thread, I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i with 74k miles, drives well no engine lights or anything, but lately I've had a diesel sound coming from the engine after a 30 min drive on the highway, it's only audible while parked, so that led me to try heavier oil. I read on some Subaru forums that a lot of guys are using rotella 5w-40 synthetic, so I switched to that hoping it would quiet down, so far it hasn't. My question is do u guys think that my OBD is reading correct temps for my oil being at 270F, and if so, should I be concerned?

·
Registered
'15 XT CVT
1,080 Posts
240 is a bit high, so 270 is not particularly good.

The sensor could be bad, which you make the ODBII read incorrectly.

Since water temp and oil temp do not correspond that is a good hint things are probably okay. I'd check for sludge blockages to be safe and then not sweat it. I'd also get an oil analysis (likely first, before I poke around inside).

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,583 Posts
Today spotted a temperature of 247 on my triple gage 2015 Forester.
Driving on a uphill with 4 people & 91 ambient; RPM held steady about 4k to maintain speed of 70 MPH.
Is that too high or close to too high?
No warning light were on.
Thx

·
Registered
16 Forester
151 Posts
Today spotted a temperature of 247 on my triple gage 2015 Forester.
Driving on a uphill with 4 people & 91 ambient; RPM held steady about 4k to maintain speed of 70 MPH.
Is that too high or close to too high?
No warning light were on.
Thx
I wouldn't worry about it at all. During steady highway causing at 75-80 my oil temp stays around 225. If you're going uphill with a loved vehicle and the revs are at 4k for a while, I can see how you can easily be at 247 and even higher than that.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,583 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. During steady highway causing at 75-80 my oil temp stays around 225. If you're going uphill with a loved vehicle and the revs are at 4k for a while, I can see how you can easily be at 247 and even higher than that.
Thank you for your response, I too see 225 quite often, this is the first time I've seen it over that.
Form what I can gather fully synthesic oil can take up to 300.
I was somewhat concerned since I haven't seem temperature this high Before even under similar conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts