Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,844 Posts
IMO it's a personal perference. What makes a difference, to me, is the frequency of the oil & filter change.

I use Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 synthetic blend & WIX or NAPA Gold oil filter. I use the 3000 miles, or every 3 month oil & filter change. I figure it's cheap insurance for a long lasting engine.

Our '95 Neon Sport has had the same treatment since new & it still runs perfectly & has never required any engine repairs. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
oil

IMO-- 100% synthetic all the way. All pro no con, except for $$ that is.

regular oil is good just needs changing more often than synthetic.

Or, you could always go with a reg oil/synthetic blend to save $$.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
2003 2.5x

Mobil 1 FS 5w-30 with Napa Gold filter

Religious oil changes at 3k even though it suppose to go 6k between changes. I like my oil to look almost new coming out...so far so good.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
It doesn't not matter if you use regular or synthetic oil. Just change the oil and filter at the intervals shown in the owner's manual. However, I have always changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles on all the automobiles I have owned. Right now i am using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic, but only because it's cheap enough at Walmart (under $22.00 per gallon). Before switching to synthetic, on the first two oil changes I used regular Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil. Since the Forester is under warranty, I only use Subaru filters. These come with the crush washer for the drain plug, and only cost $4.00 at the local Subaru dealer.

Then on my '87 Civic Si I have been using NAPA 5W-30 during the winter, and 10W-40 during the summer. The odometer shows over 255,000 miles already, and going strong. Never used synthetic on this one, nor on any of my other vehicles. Just on the Forester.

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
go with synthetics.

pros - possible mpg increase, offers more protection, i have more peace of mind

cons - none in my case

with my own experience, after a month of switching to full synthetics all around was mileage gains. went from 20-20.1 mpg in full city driving to 23.5-23.8 full city driving. have yet to run it out in the beltway. the engine seems a bit quieter too but that cannot be confirmed and maybe just a placebo effect.

the 10 minutes it took to switch the engine oil to full synthetics was well worth it..

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
If your car has been using mineral oils for years, would it be ok to switch to a fully synthetic oil or would you recomend going with a 50-50 blend to "ease" it in. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,501 Posts
If your car has been using mineral oils for years, would it be ok to switch to a fully synthetic oil or would you recomend going with a 50-50 blend to "ease" it in. Thanks!
You canswitch. Semi-syn is probably a waste of bucks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
go with synthetics.

pros - possible mpg increase, offers more protection, i have more peace of mind

cons - none in my case
M1 5w-30 GF4 is consistently shown to have much higher wear in UOA than premium conventional. The M1 0w-40 ACEA A3/B3-4 is a good, "real" synthetic and should do better than plain jane M1 - which is actually a synthetic blend. Many synthetic will trade good cleaning and sludge prevention for increased wear. The commonly used synthetic base stock is NOT as good a lubricant as group I/II "dino oil" basetocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts