Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change my oil - last time I got it serviced, they used Silkolene Pro R - 15W50, which IMO made her noticeably louder on startup - sounds like a diesel for a few mins!!! Admittedly this could be piston slap and nothing to do with the oil....

So if I want this noise to dissapear quicker from cold (assuming it isn't piston slap) - what oil should I be using? If I use a 10W oil, is that likely to make it worse?

Palatine has recommended Millers CFS 10W-60 that he uses for his beast, what are the rest of you using?

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Shell Helix 5/40 Fully Syn

Changed every 6 months as well as filter

No problems

Cold starts no worries

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking of trying Silkolene Pro S 10W50 - can get a good price of £37 for 5L delivered on it.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What made you go for the Shell stuff? Never seen anyone mention it on Scoobynet, they rave on about Motul or Silkolene on there...

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Motul 15-50 for me. Should be no problems going to a 10 weight though.

Alyn ( ASPerformance ) usually has some fine pricing :)

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silkolene looks marginally cheaper than Motul due to Motul coming in 2litre tins - means I'd have to buy 6 litres....

Not sure whether to get Silkolene 5w-40 or 10w50.....

Been having a read on Scoobynet and they take it very seriously on there, my head is spinning!

·
Premium Member
2001 S-Turbo Auto
305 Posts
When I was running a highly tuned Impreza, the oil I would use would be either Castrol RS 10w/60 or Mobil 1 Motorsport.

Both are reasonably priced and I would use them if I tuned the Forester. For now, I think a good quality semi-synthetic is fine for my needs.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I went on the basis of its shell, it was recommended for Ferraris, its what the main dealers Wilsons now use (although only just found this out) it is recommended for turbos, and for cold starts 5 weight helps, also price, however I get mine in France where they are all cheaper

Whats more important is

1. warm you engine before thrashing
2. regular oil / filter changes, scoobytec have shown me what comes out and it looks fine.
3. know your motor, ie oil pressure, etc

As this is not Snet, go with what you feel happiest with, based on what you have found out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this was Snet there would be people up in arms by now :D

Is there any *disadvantage* to using a 5w oil?

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
No disadvantages as such the first number relates to cold temperature performance the higher number to high tem performance

What I read referred to the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures

What you dont want is thick stuff that needs warming up before it circulates your engine properly

However a 10w will no doubt do a stirling job

but with the proviso that you always warm up your engine before thrashing

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gavin said:
Thinking of trying Silkolene Pro S 10W50 - can get a good price of £37 for 5L delivered on it.....
Thats what I use. top stuff. but changing every 6 months? I only do about 5k a year.

so once a year for me

·
Registered
214 Posts
we do deals on Motul or Millers....................only 2x oil companies we now use after various experiences with the rest............

Motul (300v) will cost you more initially but is a far better product and eventually you end up with a "free" oil change.............10w40 for normal use will do the job fine...........

Millers is cheaper but only slightly when you take the difference in quantity in..........

alyn

·
Registered
94 Posts
Accordig to manual 5w30 should be used for the MY2005 2.5XT
According to Mobil and Shell, 5w30 should be used, this is also recommended for the 2.5 STI.
There are 5w30 oils ACEA A3 spec, HTHS >3.5
Why would we use a thicker oil?
Regards JE

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gone for Silkolene Pro S 10w50, will report back if it makes any difference, thanks for the help guys.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
stevem said:
Motul 15-50 for me. Should be no problems going to a 10 weight though.

Alyn ( ASPerformance ) usually has some fine pricing :)

Steve
Don't know why, but our dealer recommended Shell Helix 10w50. I was asking for Motul but they told me they don’t use Motul anymore, no reason given...
Saw in Greece, Subaru motor oil. Anybody from the area knows what kind of oil is this?

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
it's more to do with what they've got a big box of at the back of the workshop than anything else I think :)

My local dealer used Helix , but they would put in whatever you gave them to use instead (within reason)

Never seen subaru badged oil....I'd have to have a very close look at the specs before using it though ;)

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts