Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to get into brands, etc. and all those other circular discussions. But I am a newbie and a pre-purchaser. Planning on an XT Premium next year.
Just to gather more info, I found an open Subaru site where the owner's manual can be downloaded, in sections.
In reviewing the sections on specs and maintenance, it calls out oil weight as 0W20 synthetic. Should that not be 0w30 or is it a misprint?
Ironically, after calling out 0W20 it says the only suitable substitutions for topping off are 5W30 or 5W40. What happened to 5W20?
Maybe 0W30 is only for the turbo and I was in the wrong section of the manual?

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
I don't want to get into brands, etc. and all those other circular discussions. But I am a newbie and a pre-purchaser. Planning on an XT Premium next year.
Just to gather more info, I found an open Subaru site where the owner's manual can be downloaded, in sections.
In reviewing the sections on specs and maintenance, it calls out oil weight as 0W20 synthetic. Should that not be 0w30 or is it a misprint?
Ironically, after calling out 0W20 it says the only suitable substitutions for topping off are 5W30 or 5W40. What happened to 5W20?
Maybe 0W30 is only for the turbo and I was in the wrong section of the manual?
Don't know where you were reading all that, but it is incorrect information.

Engine Oil and Filter Turbo models WRX, STI, Forester 2.0XT *1
Synthetic 5w-30 synthetic oil required.

NO 0W-30, no 5W-20, no 0W-20 for the XT Turbo model you are considerint buying.

The recommended oil to use as stated by Subaru is 5W-30 for the Turbo engine.

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium auto
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, was reading the non-turbo specifications. 0W30 for turbo! I blinked and was on another page.

Although for non-Turbo I find the recommendation of top-off alternatives for 0W20 being 5W30 or 5W40 and not 5W20 rather strange.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
33 Posts
I am confused by this as well. It states in the Warranty/Maintenance Booklet page 24

"0W20 oil is required for 2014 model year Legacy, Outback, Forester, Impreza, XV Crosstrek and BRX four cylinder Engines"

Forester Manual 12-6 says Turbo models 5w30 is the oil to use

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I don't want to get into brands, etc. and all those other circular discussions. But I am a newbie and a pre-purchaser. Planning on an XT Premium next year...
Subaru's engine oil guidance for the 2.0 turbo motor in the U.S. market 2014 XT is found in OM Section 12, Specifications, page 12-6:

5W-30 synthetic oil is required for
optimum engine performance and protection.
Conventional oil may be used if
synthetic oil is unavailable.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available,
5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may
be used if replenishment is needed but
should be changed to 5W-30 synthetic
oil at the next oil change.

"0W20 oil is required for 2014 model year Legacy, Outback, Forester, Impreza, XV Crosstrek and BRX four cylinder Engines"
This is Subaru's guidance for the non-turbo FB25 engine used in those models.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,922 Posts
NO 0W-30, no 5W-20, no 0W-20 for the XT Turbo model you are considerint buying.

The recommended oil to use as stated by Subaru is 5W-30 for the Turbo engine.
No reasonthe 0W-30 can't be used but Itsd an error of emission by Subaru and technically that means it shouldn't be used...krazy...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Has anyone contacted Subaru to see if 0w-30 can be used instead of the recommended 5w-30? Amsoil has a 0w-30 oil and a 5w-30 that are priced the same.
Even if another oil weight can be used without doing harm to the engine, Subaru isn't going to tell you so. They need to stick to the book for liability reasons.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
Has anyone contacted Subaru to see if 0w-30 can be used instead of the recommended 5w-30? Amsoil has a 0w-30 oil and a 5w-30 that are priced the same.

And if you're concerned about warranty coverage, use Amsoil XL or OE since they're API/ILSAC certified.

And if you're not concerned about warranty coverage, use Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5W-30 or DEO 5W-40. They will stand up better to the high fuel dilution seen in uoa's.

-Dennis

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts