Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 FORESTER 2.5x, 5sp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overfill oil in my 09 Forester almost 1L. Car service did not bother to check level after oil change. They've apologized and fixed it, but I drove for short period of time (10 min) with overfill. May it cause any damage?
Need professional opinion.
Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,154 Posts
Not a problem.. (99% confidence level)

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I doubt any damage was done. I've heard of some foaming issues when overfilled. If you didn't get a CEL (check engine light) during your 10 min you should be ok.

More reason for DIY oil changes.

I've got a list of mess ups from "quick lube" places b4 I started changing my own oil.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
If you didnt spin a bearing in that ten minutes then you are OK, with the same confidence level as ADC ;) I assume they put in 5 qts on the 4L sump in the NA? How did you know it was overfilled? Did you notice sluggishness and then check the DS?

·
Registered
09 FORESTER 2.5x, 5sp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That exactly what happened: they put 5 qts on 4l, that is right.
The Story:
Usually I have a trusted mechanic shop to do this for me, but this time for more convenience purpose I have tried another place. To make it short, I usually bring my oil and filter with me and take the left over, but this time I have noticed that they did not put canister with remaining oil. Not big deal, but on my way home something inside was bugging me about it. I stopped the car and went to check the level. Guess what - overfill.
I came back to the service and asked guys if I can get my canister with remaining oil.
They came back with an empty can saying that nothing left. I asked manager why is it empty. Well, you should see reaction on this people face, I guess something connected inside their heads and one of them literally run to my car to check the level. They apologized and where honest about admitting their mistake, so I did not pursue it any further.
I just wanted to know if it could cause any damage. No warning lights came on, by the way.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Subaru dealer did the same to us last oil change and we drove for 30 minutes to get home. Upon arriving home I checked it (was over almost a quart...Dealership screwoffs:yell:) and siphoned it to acceptable level. Should be fine as others have said.

Needless to say, we won't be returning to our local Subaru dealer for anything unless absolutely necessary.

The kicker? We waited almost 3 hours for the "30 minute" oil change. My wife was livid about it as was I...and they gave us the oil change at no charge.

Yeah right Bend Subaru, you were just hoping we were idiots and would return to you when the seals blew:mob:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I thought the general consensus was that 5 qts was ok... since the 4L was just the capacity of the sump and with a new filter brought the total to 4.8qts

From the thread
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/oil-change-questions-71339/index4.html
January 2009
Dear xxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The correct capacity for the engine oil for the 2004 Forester XT is 5 quarts when replacing the engine oil and filter.
The 4.2 quart capacity noted in your owner's manual is for the 2004 Forester non-turbo models when just filling up the engine oil and not replacing the filter. The capacity of the non-turbo models when replacing the filter is 4.8 quarts.
We have advised our Publications Department that this information needs to be added to future Forester owner's manuals.
Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Best wishes,
John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me at at these oil change places. Even though it isn't a huge deal, they also broke the plastic undertray the last time I was there, that was the last visit for me. And on another hand since were are talking about screw ups, I just recently noticed that when I had my windshield changed the last time the place brke both of the plastic A piller covers.
Sorry for the hijack, but I dont know of any problems with overfilled oil except the spun bearing, and foamin issue, as well as that I've herd of valve problems too, but haven't personally seen this.

·
Registered
09 FORESTER 2.5x, 5sp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the general consensus was that 5 qts was ok... since the 4L was just the capacity of the sump and with a new filter brought the total to 4.8qts

Thank you. I feel better now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts