Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 cvt
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the first oil change in our 2016 Forester. I stupidly waited a couple days to check the oil. And it is over filled by 1 inch over the top fill mark. How far past is is normal on a FB25?

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I just had the first oil change in our 2016 Forester. I stupidly waited a couple days to check the oil. And it is over filled by 1 inch over the top fill mark. How far past is is normal on a FB25?
That's a lot, but probably not the end of the world. Just curious if you checked the oil 'hot' or 'cold'?

If you are really worried about this, you could go back to the dealer and complain.

Or, you could get an oil drain pan, get under the vehicle, loosen the oil drain plug with a wrench. Then, start slowly removing the oil drain plug by hand . . . just to the point that the oil starts dripping out. Put the pan under the drip. Go off and drink coffee. When you come back the level will be correct.

You could also snake a small hose down the oil filler hole and siphon some oil. I've never tried this, but it ought to work.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
Bear in mind that the dipstick goes into the sump at an angle so an extra inch on the stick translates to less in actual oil level - maybe 1/2" or so.

I don't think an extra 1/2" of oil level causes a problem in normal driving. Vigorous cornering or very hilly driving may be a different matter.

This is all guesswork on my part.

·
Registered
2015 SJ 2.0XTP HTLCVT
207 Posts
Bear in mind that the dipstick goes into the sump at an angle so an extra inch on the stick translates to less in actual oil level - maybe 1/2" or so.
+1, AND, the level usually reads slightly higher on the side of the dipstick that faces down when fully inserted (the side towards the front of the car/radiator), particularly when cold.

Although the dipstick will bend to accommodate being inserted either way, just for the sake of consistency, I marked one side of plastic handle F (for Front) and I always insert the stick that way and read the level on the other side when I pull the stick out (the side that faces the rear of the engine/car, which is the side that tends to read slightly lower).

Sometimes there's a very fine line between OCD and just being a car enthusiast...

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,081 Posts
No, this is now "normal" dealer oil management activity to cover up any potential oil burning. Overfilling is what they do as well as reducing the maintenance interval.

Go back and confront them and make them drain it to the full mark.

EJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
No, this is now "normal" dealer oil management activity to cover up any potential oil burning. Overfilling is what they do as well as reducing the maintenance interval.

Go back and confront them and make them drain it to the full mark.
Interesting observation. One clear advantage of draining the oil exactly to the "full" mark (whether the owner does it or the dealer) is that the the owner will get a much more accurate picture of oil usage. This is a known issue on some very late model Subarus.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,081 Posts
Interesting observation. One clear advantage of draining the oil exactly to the "full" mark (whether the owner does it or the dealer) is that the the owner will get a much more accurate picture of oil usage. This is a known issue on some very late model Subarus.

Yes, "oil burning" has taken up about a ton of virtual cyber ink on the forum already and is unlikely to stop.
EJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts