Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a 2012 forester with 30k miles. I've noticed that when I start the vehicle up sometimes the oil light will come on and stay on for the first few minutes of my drive and then go off. I checked dip stick and the oil level is good.

Is this cause for concern?

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
408 Posts
I'd check the viscosity of the oil in it. If it's too thick, it may not flow well enough until it warms up. I've heard of people putting in gear oil, or other high viscosity oil, to stop smoking/burning in order to sell a car that appears to be undamaged. If so, that's bad news.

It COULD be a defective sensor.

For sure, I'd find out what it wrong before driving more...

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
Is the "oil light" blue?

If it is blue, that is normal and supposed to happen. It is not the oil level, but a warning saying that the oil temp is cold and to not do any hard starts/acceleration/revs until it goes off.

That would be in your OM.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
Is the "oil light" blue?

If it is blue, that is normal and supposed to happen. It is not the oil level, but a warning saying that the oil temp is cold and to not do any hard starts/acceleration/revs until it goes off.

That would be in your OM.
The blue light is for coolant temperature, not oil. Still, it could be the confusion.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
The blue light is for coolant temperature, not oil. Still, it could be the confusion.
Ah, you are right....brain fart. I do believe it says in there that that is why you should wait for any hard accelerations/high revs is because the coolant temp is still too cold....inferring that the oil is also still cold.

Which, people we saying that even though the [coolant] light was off, the oil may still not be up to operating temp.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
The light I'm talking about is blue. So it's normal then?
The blue light is the coolant temp light if I am not mistaken. It is blue on first cold start, and stays on until coolant is warmed to normal operating temp, then goes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts