Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. It has 61K miles. I took it to the dealer for a 60,000 miles service couple of weeks back. They changed Engine oil, CVTF, Gear oil etc, checked the vehicle. The vehicle was running fine for 4-5 days after the service. Then it started to shake/wobble a bit. I noticed oil on my garage floor. I did not see the leak for the next 3-4 days, but the shake/wobble remained. Then I saw the leakage again. I had put a clear plastic sheet under the vehicle.

Seems like the leakage is from the middle of the vehicle just in line with the front wheels. The oil color seems to be clear yellow. I will take it back to the dealership. But I wanted to get an idea.

Also, this one time between 49K miles and 54K miles (for about 5k miles), I had replaced only one tire. Then I found out the harm it could cause and replaced all 4 tires. The vehicle was running smoothly from 54K miles to 61K miles. Could this have caused an issue to the AWD transmission that I am noticing after the service?

It has the oil leak (not a whole lot) and the shake/wobble, more noticeable at lower speeds. What could be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,881 Posts
If it clear yellow, it's likely gear oil. There is also a distinct gear oil smell, bit of sulfur smell vs engine oil which would be a bit more on the medium - dark beer color with a hint of gasoline smell. You also note that you only replaced one tire and not all 4, that will likely cause differential damage which may also be causing the shake/wobble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it clear yellow, it's likely gear oil. There is also a distinct gear oil smell, bit of sulfur smell vs engine oil which would be a bit more on the medium - dark beer color with a hint of gasoline smell. You also note that you only replaced one tire and not all 4, that will likely cause differential damage which may also be causing the shake/wobble.
The single tire I had done a while back. Since I replaced all 4 tires it had run smooth for 6-7K miles.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,881 Posts
Take a look at where the 2 axles come out if the transmission. There are internal seals around the axles that potentially are leaking. I have a leak there on my driver side axle. But will leave it for now. It's not bothersome other than smell as the oil is burnt by the exhaust.

The front differential on the 4EAT also has a drain plug near there as well so maybe leaking there from the last oil change.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts