Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New to foresters, so I apologize if this has been covered.

I tried searching, and I havent found a thread covering my exact problem.
In extreme cold (zero and below) My forester has a pretty bad oil leak. However, when I warm it up and drive for a while, the leak stops 100%

Due to it being so cold, I havent crawled under it yet. But its in the garage warming up and I'm going to go take a look at lunch time. I did take a glance at it, and it appears to be coming from the oil filter area.

So Ive read that the seals can leak, but wouldnt they leak all the time and not just in the extreme cold? If the filter is too tight, wouldnt that cause it to leak too? I'm also thinking its got 2 gaskets on the filter.

Anyway, i wont know without taking a look for myself, but I was hoping maybe someone had a similar problem and can shed some light until I go outside.

Thanks in advance

-tonyM

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5MT
61 Posts
I had a similar problem with my old 1997 Suzuki Sidekick. I went to start it in
-45C. I made it 2 hours down the road when my oil light came on. I had blown an oil seal (not sure which one) and was leaking oil pretty bad. Not sure but I think it had something to do with moisture.

Maybe this is what happened to your forester. I imagine that your leak stops because as the oil heats up the seal is expanding.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,802 Posts
Almost useless to speculate. You will need to take a look at. Likely source is around the head gasket

·
Registered
04 FXT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, i got too impatient and took an early lunch. It seems the oil filter may have been too tight. The whole engine is dry and it is very clear its coming out of the filter seal.

The Head gasket and cam seals were done about 10k ago, and I was afraid it may have been that. But this is one of those lucky times it is something easy.

Thanks for the ideas though guys!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '99 but I'm not sure if it will apply to the XT or later NA models since I've never taken a close look on my 08.. The problem also started during the winter one year.

The oil filter spun on to a separate spacer which was fastened to the block, This spacer was where I imagine, oil cooler lines could be added since it had two threaded plugs. Between the block and the spacer was an gasket or o-ring which eventually started to leak, I initially thought it was the oil filter leaking but an inspection when I took it back indicated the leak was between the block and spacer.

Not sure if the spacer spins on or was bolted, since I had it done at the dealership. If I recall it cost me about 60$ including a oil and filter change so it must be easy to do since I waited for it.

Hopefully it's as simple as a loose filter or this.

Let us know what the verdict is.

Oh ya welcome to the forum.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
Could this be the frozen PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve issue that has been seen with others? The cold weather causes the PCV valve to seize, resulting in pressure buildup. The oil is then pushed out of any hole it can get out of. This issue was reported on new turbo models, but maybe it is occurring here too?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts