Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have an oil leak. I took the car (2004 FXT) to the dealer in Oct for an oil/filter change. The dealer told me they could not change the oil because SOA recalled all of the filters for the XT, so I took it back 2 weeks later. They told me they got new filters and did the oil change.

Now I have noticed a few spots on the driveway and the oil was a bit low. I am scheduled to take it back to the dealer next week.

Are there any bulletins or known problems ???

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
blowpoptoe said:
I think I have an oil leak. I took the car (2004 FXT) to the dealer in Oct for an oil/filter change. The dealer told me they could not change the oil because SOA recalled all of the filters for the XT, so I took it back 2 weeks later. They told me they got new filters and did the oil change.

Now I have noticed a few spots on the driveway and the oil was a bit low. I am scheduled to take it back to the dealer next week.

Are there any bulletins or known problems ???

Thanks

I remember reading a thread on here when it was still .com that the new filters also had a leaking issue. I am sure someone will have the correct info and post it soon.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Make sure they put your oil filler cap back on. Took my mom's Outback XT to the dealer for an oil change and they failed to put the cap back on. I noticed about 2 miles down the road when the oil was splashing out and landing on the headers.... smoking like mad.

But just check all your parts to make sure everything is there.

Then take it back to the dealer cuz they probably used one of the defective oil filters again.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Could be either of those two or they just didn't put a new drain plug gasket on. Where is it leaking from? Try climbing under the car and see where it's coming from. That would give you a better idea of your problem and help us help you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The drain plug on my 03 Forester does not have a gasket.

Check to make sure that the drain plug is tight, but first check to make sure that the dealer mechanic did not strip the threads or cross thread the threads. Do this by unscrewing the drain plug until oil starts to seep out. Then screw it back in. If it screws both ways easily and you can tighten it, it should be ok.

You should also check to be sure that there is a gasket between the oil filter and the filter mounting base and that there are not two gaskets. Now and then the old gasket sticks to the mounting base and someone will put the new oil filter and new gasket on, resulting in two gaskets, which often results in a leak. Make sure the oil filter screws on and off easily (as with the oil pan drain plug) so that no threads are stripped or cross threaded. Then, once the filter's screwed all the way on and it begins to be hard to turn, turn it another 3/4 to 1 turn to snug the filter down.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
mbroadhe said:
jmacmaster said:
The drain plug on my 03 Forester does not have a gasket.
It doesn't have the metal crush gasket? I thought these were on all the Forester.
Yep, there should be. If you don't use one it won't leak, but I wouldn't recommend it. Forgot to replace with a new crush washer once and ended up draining/refilling the oil all again, I just didn't want to risk it.

Its possible that someone down the line just forgot to replace it= next person doesn't see one so they think that its not necessary= next person etc.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah, I did that once. Didn't put on a new washer on and kept seeing lil oil spots on the ground under my car. After further inspection, I found lil droplets coming from the drain plug. I drained the oil again and put on a new crush gasket and wahlah no more droplets. I said "The hell with this. I'm not buying crush washers every time I need to change the oil". That's when I bought the Fumoto. http://fumotovalve.com/

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
They all have crush washers or are supposed to. Sometimes it's hard to see but it should be there. Or it will most likely leak.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Forester new and have done all my own oil changes. Its never had a washer on it. In fact, I've owned over a dozen vehicles and I don't remember any of them having any kind of washer, and none of them leaked oil at the oil drain plug (and I've always changed my own oil).

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
2,225 Posts
The 15208AA09A oil filters leak. Subaru called them all back and are now using the 15208AA100 filters again. I had 2 leaking 09As on my car. It was a good time.

Ben

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Fumoto is easy to install.. and works good.. right? I'm sick of buying crush washers

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Although your other cars may not have had a washer I bet you a box of donuts your Subaru came with one but you just did not see it. For some odd reason they paint the oil pan AFTER they put the drain plug (with washer) in place. It's very hard to see and you need to pry it off because it's basically painted on. Some people have thought they didn't have one and they installed a second one on top of the painted on one and got leaks. I suggest next time you change the oil you look very closely and take a pen knife and check. I've changed the oil on dozens of Subaru's and they all have had a washer on the oil drain plug.

From the service manual:

A brand new oil drain plug (I've had 5 new subaru's since 97 and they have all been this way):

Washer pried off:

I'm not saying that from the factory you might not have gotten one, however it's more likely you just did not see it. Either way it's supposed to have one.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Peaty:

You're probably right, especially if the drain plug came stock from the factory with the washer sealed to the drain plug with paint. I hadn't thought of that possibility. I figured if there was a washer it would fall off the plug when the plug's removed. I'll definitely check the plug for a washer the next time I change the oil. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,921 Posts
Message to all: GET the Fumuto oil valve and chuck the entire drain plug and crush washer thing....too much trouble, not foolproof and harder to drain cleanly.

All of my Japanese cars, from my first Honda in 1977 to 2003 when we purchased the Forester, came with crush washers....the washer helps prevent your stripping the pan hole threads by crushing as you tighten the bolt, also giving you a sense of tightening feedback without putting too much stress directly on the oil pan threads.....

The Fumuto valve was one of the best things I learned about from the Forester Forums site......

Steve

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is the filter !

I climbed under the car this w/e and saw that it is leaking from the filter. I am taking it back to the dealer ASAP. When i called to explain the problem, of course they made it seem like it was my fault and they never heard of the problem. asses.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Martin Subaru SUCKS !!! (Sicklerville, New Jersey)

Here is the letter I sent to them...it explains all that happened...

Eric Blumberg
Vice President
MARTIN CHRYSLER JEEP SUBARU SUZUKI
2900 Route 42
P.O. Box 720
Sicklerville, New Jersey 08081

RE: Service Department Issues
2004 Subaru Forester XT
Martin Subaru, Sicklerville, New Jersey

Dear Mr. Blumberg,

I am completely dissatisfied with your Dealership in Sicklerville, New Jersey.

I scheduled an oil and filter change on my 2004 Subaru Forester XT in October 2005. When I brought my car in for the service, I was told by the Service Advisor that the oil and filter change could not be conducted, because the oil filter for my particular car was recalled by Subaru of America. I was also told to call later in the week to find out when the new filters would be in and to reschedule the appointment accordingly. I thought it was odd that I should call to check on something your Service Department needed, but nonetheless, I did so and was told that the new filters were now in stock. The oil and filter change was conducted on October 15, 2005.

About two months later, I noticed that my car was leaking oil (e.g., noticed oil spots on my driveway). I looked under the car and noticed that oil was leaking from the filter (e.g., the filter was wet with oil dripping from it). I called your Service Department and I scheduled my car for service on February 11, 2006.

Upon inspection by your Service Department on February 11, 2006, I was told that the filter was indeed leaking. I was also told that I would be charged for the oil and filter change because I was "due" (e.g. 4,000 miles had elapsed since my first visit in October 2005). I disputed this charge with the Service Advisor, but I was forced to pay the $35 for the oil and filter change.

This is unacceptable.

I did not bring my car in for an oil change, regardless if it was "due" for one or not. I brought my car in because I was sold a defective oil filter that put my engine at serious risk of damage or fire. In order to replace the defective filter, the oil needed to be changed, but I should not have been charged for it. In addition, it’s a 25 minute drive to your Dealership at which I spent a considerable amount of time on each of my three visits.

I should, at least, be refunded the $35 for my oil change.

I would like you to know that I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of New Jersey and that my friends, family, and coworkers are all aware of this incident. Also, I will never again use your dealership for service or for the purchase of a new car. It’s amazing how a small incident can cause such a ripple effect. However, there is an upside to this and I would actually like to thank you for this incident. This incident gave me insight into how your dealership conducts its business, before I made the mistake of purchasing my next Subaru from you, the Subaru STI.

Sincerely,

1 - 20 of 41 Posts