Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester AT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Subi Community ,
Hope Yall doing good , this is my first post.
I was trying to find whether the manufacturer for K&N and Purolator is same ?
I did some research , and did not find anything , except in this video ( at 2:40) the guy says that they are same , Champ labs -

Any input would be appreciated

thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
That video was Fram and Purolator. But neither has the correct bypass setting for Subaru. I honestly couldn't stand to watch the whole thing. Perhaps I missed the K&N part.

Welcome to the board.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
At present,

Purolator is( Mann, Purolator, Bosch.... some one else can figure out who owns who)

FRAM is no longer owned by Honeywell, they are a division of the UCI-FRAM Group, a privately owned auto parts company, a company created with the merger of Champion Labs and FRAM. Fram, Champ Labs are now one and the same and the product lines are consolidating, evident in construction of some filters.

Fram(Champ), and Purolator are both filter manufacturing houses. Design a filter, get them the specs pay them and they will make it with your name on it for the right price.

K&N is nothing more than a spec filter. They don't do their own manufacturing. They shop around for the best price for the specs they want the filter to be made to. Now like everything, those specs are subject to change(lower or higher) if the price is right.

Champion Labs used to make the K&N oil filters in the Albion, IL plant. After the Champ Labs, Fram buy out and merger by the Rank Group, K&N moved production to another company in Korea. Rumor has it they are now a lower quality filter with lower capacity & lower efficiency. See post by "motorking"(a Fram tech director).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
Yea..that's why when folks say FRAM sucks....you have to qualify your statement..as they may manufacture for almost anyone.

Interesting about K&N. Yea they used to be built by Champion Labs.

·
Registered
00/4 Forester S, X Auto, Auto
318 Posts
Actually the Fram XG filter is one of the top filters now. Course you pay for what you get. K&N and Mobil 1 are the same filter, different cans. Both made by Champion Labs. Purolator, MANN and Bosch were but Bosch sold off their interest in Purolator a while back. Most Purolator euro specs are MANN filters and vise versa.

The info on any filter research and most any fluid is this place: - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,240 Posts
Sorry but I would not ever use any Fram filter even if it was free. They have sold so much junk I can't trust them.

·
Registered
2007 Forester AT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the responses.I moved from US to Australia , and having really hard time finding good oil & filter( that I trust) here.In US I was extremely happy with my Shell Rotella oil + Purolator filter combo.
So was trying to find equivalents . Got Shell Helix Ultra Extra corresponding to Rotella.

I thought that if K&N was made by same manufacturer as Purolator , I could go for K&N. I know there are tons of thread on Oil filters, but I am comfortable going with one that I have actually used. I read 'Subaru oil filter comparison' thread by flstffxe before posting .

In order to make informed decision would appreciate input on following 4 points :
1. Should I settle with K&N performance HP-1008
2. Should I order Purolator PSL14612 Synthetic from USA
3. As per the last reco from the " Oil filter discussion/Tokyo Roki replacement" thread pg 12 is Wix the best filter ?
4. Should I just get the filter ( Tokyo Roki ?) from the local Subaru dealer ?

Thanks

PS
And btw guys, its crazy expensive here.
Shell Helix costed me $78, K&N filter is $ 28 .
Checked oil change labor price with a shop and he quoted me $ 180 !!!! :crazy: can you believe it ???

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
I like Wix/Napa filters. Very good quality and just about the same price. I've always used Wix and always will. I seem to get more life out of my oil with Wix. Bosch is another good one I like, I use them on VW's because of their capacity, haven't had issues with them. I always seem to like the Valvoline/Wix combo, I seem to get maximum life out of oil/combo.

I thought Micro Guard was bad.... I will never use Fram again, or K&N for that fact.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts

In order to make informed decision would appreciate input on following 4 points :
1. Should I settle with K&N performance HP-1008
2. Should I order Purolator PSL14612 Synthetic from USA
3. As per the last reco from the " Oil filter discussion/Tokyo Roki replacement" thread pg 12 is Wix the best filter ?
4. Should I just get the filter ( Tokyo Roki ?) from the local Subaru dealer ?

Thanks
1.) Really it boils down to "what you are comfortable with". I used to use K&N filters almost exclusively in motorcycle applications that had spin-on filters. Since the move to Korean manufacturing I have not touched one.

I did buy up the last of the Made in USA ones I could get my hands on that were on some local store shelves but have used all but one or two up. I'm now on a quest for a replacement "I feel comfortable with". Sorry Purolator, but it is hard to spin on a Puke yellow oil filter on a motorcycle that has it exposed in plain view and painting them black every time gets old. Though the Blue of the PLS isn't bad on some bikes.

For the Subarus, I still like ones that meet the OEM bypass valve spec. If only for the sake of meeting the spec in some cases. Depending on media area and design a lower spec "may" be just fine. The more media the more that volume of flow is spread out arcoss the filter element reducing pressure differential from one side of the media to the other(all other things being equal). Even the base Purolator has much more media surface area, it also has one of the highest spec bypass valve specs for a aftermarket filter that doesn't meet the 23.2PSID spec. Is it a wash? Close enough I will use it with out worry.

2.) Again it comes down to what you find acceptable. The PSL14612 is a good filter. The PL14610 is a bigger version(tad longer, more media) of the PL14612 and is my choice when looking at the non-synthetic Purolators.

3.) For a filter that meets the OEM bypass spec, it is one of the only ones that does that I personally have issues with. The media area is small.

4.) The Tokyo Roki is basically thought to be gold by many here in the US. If the cost is reasonable I wouldn't hesitate to use it and would be my default if it were rediably available at a fair price.

·
Registered
2007 Forester AT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This helps, thank you for the detailed response.

1.) Really it boils down to "what you are comfortable with". I used to use K&N filters almost exclusively in motorcycle applications that had spin-on filters. Since the move to Korean manufacturing I have not touched one.

I did buy up the last of the Made in USA ones I could get my hands on that were on some local store shelves but have used all but one or two up. I'm now on a quest for a replacement "I feel comfortable with". Sorry Purolator, but it is hard to spin on a Puke yellow oil filter on a motorcycle that has it exposed in plain view and painting them black every time gets old. Though the Blue of the PLS isn't bad on some bikes.

For the Subarus, I still like ones that meet the OEM bypass valve spec. If only for the sake of meeting the spec in some cases. Depending on media area and design a lower spec "may" be just fine. The more media the more that volume of flow is spread out arcoss the filter element reducing pressure differential from one side of the media to the other(all other things being equal). Even the base Purolator has much more media surface area, it also has one of the highest spec bypass valve specs for a aftermarket filter that doesn't meet the 23.2PSID spec. Is it a wash? Close enough I will use it with out worry.

2.) Again it comes down to what you find acceptable. The PSL14612 is a good filter. The PL14610 is a bigger version(tad longer, more media) of the PL14612 and is my choice when looking at the non-synthetic Purolators.

3.) For a filter that meets the OEM bypass spec, it is one of the only ones that does that I personally have issues with. The media area is small.

4.) The Tokyo Roki is basically thought to be gold by many here in the US. If the cost is reasonable I wouldn't hesitate to use it and would be my default if it were rediably available at a fair price.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,701 Posts
Saga ends, found Tokyo Roki Oil Filter at the local dealer for 20 bucks...:chair:
That's insane..not worth it.Very little if any difference in UOA results no matter what filter you get.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
901 Posts
Saga ends, found Tokyo Roki Oil Filter at the local dealer for 20 bucks...:chair:
You can buy OEM oil filters from American dealers for about US$6 plus shipping. Buy 10-12 and they will probably cost you less than $10 ea including shipping.

Checkout Annapolis Subaru and Subaru Online Parts in the Supporting Vendors forum

·
Registered
2007 Forester AT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tip .
Looks like you in OZ as well.
Have you ordered any part from US supplier ?
cheers

You can buy OEM oil filters from American dealers for about US$6 plus shipping. Buy 10-12 and they will probably cost you less than $10 ea including shipping.

Checkout Annapolis Subaru and Subaru Online Parts in the Supporting Vendors forum

1 - 16 of 16 Posts