Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note to all of you who change your own oil and filter.....

I just changed my oil/filter and found that the OEM filter that my dealer installed 4000 miles back was of a smaller outside diameter than my replacement OEM filter(s)......

I called the service manager and was told that a consolidation of oil filter styles had been done by SOA........the newer cannister is larger but the threads and seal are identical so be aware.

I was about to change my filter on a day when the NE is waiting to be socked by a winter storm so this threw me for a couple of minutes until I spoke to the service manager....

Apparently, there are now 2 filters for ALL Subies. One for the 4 cylinder models, the other for the 6 cylinder ones....

Steve

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Those are great pics..

Interesting to look inside the fram tough guard

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,699 Posts
I recently learned the hard way that one should open up the box before buying the filter. I was partway into an oil change when I opened up the box of my usual Fram Toughguard that I'd bought at the local Walmart, only to discover a regular orange Fram filter inside. Unless there was a big mixup at the Fram factory, somebody had switched boxes to save a couple of bucks.

Please tell me that there are cars other than Subies that take this filter! I don't want to suspect that it might have been one of our kind who did it.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
That's not a bad ide....

j/k

I don't see the point in living if you care about ripping off a company for 2 dollars

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,699 Posts
SenorSubie said:
I don't see the point in living if you care about ripping off a company for 2 dollars
Agree completely. Well, almost completely. I'm usually really good about telling cashiers about underrings. But after two times at the self-service checkout at Walmart where I got double charged (due to a combination of funny equipment and possible ineptitude on my part), I didn't feel too bad the other day when, after a half dozen or so objections from the system that required supervisor intervention, I ended up getting something for $2.25 less than the marked price. By my reckoning we're only about $1.50 apart now.

Except for their fussiness regarding weight, I rather like the self-service checkouts. It means that you don't have to deal with Walmart employees. (The supervisor who had to intervene on my transaction never removed the cell phone from her ear during the entire episode.) But it's tough when you get stuck behind jerks who can't handle the system. The local K-Mart abandoned self-service when they discovered that almost all of their customers were jerks who couldn't handle the system.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
920 Posts
What probably happened was that some wiseguy bought the upgrade filter from Walmart, and the switched out a cheaper one he already had before returning it. Of course, the poor guys/gals at the return counter just check quickly to make sure it's not an empty box before issuing the refund.

I'm aways wary when buying anything that's not sealed. I've seen plenty of electronic items that had been "swapped" like that. I always bring it up to the attention of someone at the store, rather than just reshelving it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts