Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get blasted, I did a search. I learned about the OEM Blue filter and the OEM Black filter. I know not to make the mistake of mistaking a painted crush ring for the absence of a crush ring. I think that I have learned everything there is to know about changing the oil in a Forester, but none of the information seems to be specific to the SH (2009 / 2010).

I decided to look under the car this evening in preparation for our XT's first oil change, but there's this large plastic under tray that I had not seen any references to???

I can't see the filter. I can't see the drain plug. So, I guess it's necessary to remove the plastic tray. Nobody mentioned having to remove the tray.

Will there be any other surprises? :icon_biggrin:

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Well done attempting your first oil change. I did my first on my 09 FXT.

There is a door that opens to allow access to the filter and drain plug. If you can take your time remove the whole thing. Gives you more space.

Cover the pipes near the filter before you drain so no spray gets on the pipes and gives you a smoke smell.

The tray is important. Keeps crap off your O2 sensors etc.

Got any questions just ask.

How to Change Your Motor Oil | eHow.com

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I have had mine changed at the dealer 3 times and have not been charged yet, I think the service girl likes me or maybe she is just gearing up to take me for the whole kit and caboodle later on, lol.

Anyway, I watch the guy change the oil every time and he always removes the entire shield for better access so when I change my own I will likely do the same.

I hand picked the guy who works on my car and as it turned out, he is one of the techs that factory Subaru chose to work on their race cars on weekends so I guess I didn't make a bad choice.

Good luck on the change, avoid the common mistakes and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Manual
1,274 Posts
The plastic tray is not new for the 09-10. They SF's and SG's have them too.
I always remove the entire tray since I am cannot imaging that I would not make more a mess with that little hole.

BTW the plastic trays garner no love on the forums and a lot of people switch them out to a primitive brand or other thick aluminum.

The trays themselves have been debated on the forums as to what they actually are designed to do. Some have suggested airflow and cooling but seems that test of this don't pan out. likely just a splash shield.

The aluminum ones offer the benefit of real protection from rocks and debris as well adding a bit of front end rigidity.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,390 Posts
I just removed the little door under the filter and left it off.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I have almost always done my own oil changes, so I'm not new to the procedure. My previous car (Mazda3) had a plastic tray also. I had to remove it completely to get to the filter cartridge and drain plug.

My biggest fear is confusing the Automatic Transmission drain plug for the Oil drain plug. I'll be really careful here.

I'll have to take a look. I did not see an opening or access panel. I peeked between the plastic tray, and the wheel well liner and saw what I thought was the oil filter. It was black, and had the word "ENGINE" printed in bold white text on the bottom of it??? :huh:

For the first change, I will remove the tray altogether. Thanks for the tip to cover the exhaust pipe.

I've pretty much decided to use the Subaru OEM Blue filter. Regarding oil, I'll go with conventional, but I haven't decided which brand. I always used Mobil 1 in my Mazda.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Hey there. :biggrin:
Once you get in underneath, you'll find it is really painless. I don't remove the tray on my XT because I have one of the oil filter wrenches that fit right over the end of the filter and it comes right out with minimal spillage. The little bit that does drip I clean up with brake cleaner and a shop rag. No worries.
FWIW I use the K&N filter (has agreat "nut" welded onto the end of the filter to make it even easier to screw on and off). I also have been using Castrol Syntec full synthetic since 10K (have 29500 currently with two Blackstones so far).
One thing is you will find everyone has their own opinion on brand and types of oil and filters. See what others have used, then find what you are comfortable with and go with it.
Glad to have you on the boards with us!

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there. :biggrin:
Once you get in underneath, you'll find it is really painless. I don't remove the tray on my XT because I have one of the oil filter wrenches that fit right over the end of the filter and it comes right out with minimal spillage. The little bit that does drip I clean up with brake cleaner and a shop rag. No worries.
FWIW I use the K&N filter (has agreat "nut" welded onto the end of the filter to make it even easier to screw on and off). I also have been using Castrol Syntec full synthetic since 10K (have 29500 currently with two Blackstones so far).
One thing is you will find everyone has their own opinion on brand and types of oil and filters. See what others have used, then find what you are comfortable with and go with it.
Glad to have you on the boards with us!
Thanks Tom. Yeah, I thought that I would wait until after the 3rd oil change before switching to synthetic. After reading all of the posts regarding Group II, III, IV, V synthetics confusion has become the word of the day. :shrug: :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Thanks Tom. Yeah, I thought that I would wait until after the 3rd oil change before switching to synthetic. After reading all of the posts regarding Group II, III, IV, V synthetics confusion has become the word of the day. :shrug: :icon_biggrin:
Yep. Discussing oil, filters and the like is just as disconcerting as discussing whose mother was better. :N_poke:

Look at the info, digest what you can and go for it! :woohoo:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts