Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
What brand oil filter and amtifreeze coolent (I have the additive for the coolent) are as good as subarus brand?
Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
The "search" field in the forum is your second best friend.

key words "coolant" "oil filter"

tons of stuff to read

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Roger,

Tell us more about your car: what model, what year, etc.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Wix and purolator make some of the best filters.

Prestone and peak are the big names in coolant, but no idea how they actually compare to the oem coolant.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,711 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

If you decide to go with WIX oil filters, keep in mind NAPA Gold oil filters are rebranded WIX oil filters & a great value if you find them on sale! :cool:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Use K&Ns! Expensive but with the one inch nut on the bottom they make changing a dream. There are several on line auto part vendors that offer free shipping for orders over $50 and sell them for $10 + change. I purchase three for the Forester and two for my daughters Corolla, who's filter is also vertical and up in a narrow location.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,118 Posts
Use K&Ns! Expensive but with the one inch nut on the bottom they make changing a dream. There are several on line auto part vendors that offer free shipping for orders over $50 and sell them for $10 + change. I purchase three for the Forester and two for my daughters Corolla, who's filter is also vertical and up in a narrow location.
K&N are pretty expensive (built like a tank though). Issue for Suparu is the 28psi byass value.

As far as the nut meeehhh...

I must have pasted the reference to this filter dozens of times on here

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Its a 3-4$ filter with a nut stuck on it being sold for $10+. Its basically the same as the mobil1, stp, champion etc filters.

Imo the purolator and wix(napagold) are the best out there. The only downside to the purolator is the thinner can construction, but I've bashed one offroad and it held up fine. The pureone has one of the highest filter media areas of any filter too.

I also generally use the purolator fuel filters, just because they're available at most part stores for a good price.

I used to use the purolator air filters, but the contruction gets cheaper each time I buy one! The rubber gasket material on the last one i got was so soft it actually melted off the filter media, so I'll be trying out different air filters soon. The first one I got had a great gasket and a metal frame around the filter media like the oem filters do, but this was a few years ago (does anyone happen to know of any aftermarket filters that still have that metal frame?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts