Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester sports xt
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a FP green turbo that is setup for oil cooling only(long story short, not what I was expecting) I was told to splice the water line together. Is this a good idea and are there draw backs to oil cooled only turbos?
:shrug:

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
239 Posts
Greddy's bolt-on turbos are oil lubed/cooled. The kits come w/ a plug, for the head, and a rubber cap, for the coolant reservior.
As long as the turbo center cartridge was designed for oil lubed/cooled only, the turbo will have a good longevity.
Your operating oil temps in increase, and depending on how you drive, you may want to get an oil temp gauge.
You can also, like you mentioned, just connect the 2 hoses together.
I would highly recommend a turbo timer, on an oil cooled turbo.
Congrats on upgrading!
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Yes its fine as suggested to just connect the 2 water cooling lines back in a closed loop.

Not familiar with the FP's but if its designed to be a gasoline turbo then (rather than adapted from a Diesel) then the bearings and oilways should cope, still not as well as a water colled though.

As suggested, either discipline yourself to at least 1 minutes gentle running or get a turbo timer, no point getting an oil temp gauge, the bulk oil temp won't be affected by the lack of water colling, just the local temps in the turbo.

Simon

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
239 Posts
Yes its fine as suggested to just connect the 2 water cooling lines back in a closed loop.

Not familiar with the FP's but if its designed to be a gasoline turbo then (rather than adapted from a Diesel) then the bearings and oilways should cope, still not as well as a water colled though.

As suggested, either discipline yourself to at least 1 minutes gentle running or get a turbo timer, no point getting an oil temp gauge, the bulk oil temp won't be affected by the lack of water colling, just the local temps in the turbo.

Simon
I would have to disagree on localized heating of the oil. Heat will be transfered solely (instead of coolant also) thru the oil. Which will pass down the return hose and sit in the oil pan, transfering the heat to the oil sitting in the oil pan. Cycle repeats, I would say the operating temp would increase, once driven hard. Not to start an arguement, just stating my opinion.
Absubtle
CO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts