Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 09 Forester X Premium with 90k on the clock. Over the last 5K miles or so it’s started using what I would consider an excessive amount of oil based. For the first 85K miles the motor used nothing between oil changes. Checked it weekly and changed it at 5K. Never needed to add anything.

Over the last 5K I’ve had to add 2 quarts. To me this is excessive for any engine regardless of design.

I’m going to check the PVC and hoses tonight when I get home. Anything else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
2016 FXT Premium CVT
405 Posts
Thats odd it would go for that long then start to use oil. I would replace the pcv valve.

We have an 09 Forester X Premium with 90k on the clock. Over the last 5K miles or so it’s started using what I would consider an excessive amount of oil based. For the first 85K miles the motor used nothing between oil changes. Checked it weekly and changed it at 5K. Never needed to add anything.

Over the last 5K I’ve had to add 2 quarts. To me this is excessive for any engine regardless of design.

I’m going to check the PVC and hoses tonight when I get home. Anything else I should be looking at?

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts

I'd do a really thorough inspection of the engine itself, including underneath to make sure you're not leaking oil. It's possible it could leak but burn off when you're driving such that you never even smell it. You're losing a pint every 1200 or so a slow leak isn't out of the question.

The PVC valve is a logical place to start as well.

Its also worth taking a look inside the exhaust pipe and seeing if there's an oil residue there. It's always possible its a ring or a valve / valve guide defective.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,472 Posts
Thread split off from the Excessive Oil Consumption thread in the FB25 forum; the 09 has the EJ25 and the problem is therefore unrelated to the other thread.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5MT
53 Posts
Could likely be your oil control rings. You can use Marvel Mystery Oil or Lubro-Moly engine flush which is specifically designed to clean the ring packs of carbon. Both go in the crankcase. MMO you can use long-term in the crankcase and Lubro Moly is a 10 minute idle event followed by an oil change.

·
Registered
06 forester x 5 MT
73 Posts
I was using approx 1 1/2 quarts every 3000 miles. I changer the PCV valve and consumption went down to almost zero.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts