Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester X MT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Forester failed the oil consumption test at my local Subaru dealership but Subaru denied me any accommodation because I don't have all of my oil change records. I work at a school and have had my oil changed religiously at the school auto shop under the supervision of a certified mechanic. The car burns more than 500 ml per 2000 km. Any suggestions or recourse? I am worried about premature engine failure does anyone have any suggestions about what oil to use? Should I sell the car? Trade it in? Obviously very disappointed in the Subaru brand at this point. Thanks for any comments.

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,503 Posts
They cant do that inthe U.S

Just write dates and mileage when you changed (guess). Subaru or any manufacture has not expressly stated in writing how changes are documented.

Get a lawyer if necessary..but it should not be needed.

·
Registered
2007 Bean
16 Posts
If you're out of warranty and there is no recall this one might be on you to fix. If still in warranty period, just make a spreadsheet estimating all of those oil changes at what mileage/times and try again!

The engine can't burn up if you keep topping it off though - just check it every week or two and level it out. For oil anything mid-tier is great; avoid off-brand and you should be fine. Personally I'd just eat the $4 every month for a bottle of oil rather than rebuild an engine on my own dime (assuming you're not blowing smoke out the back).

·
Registered
2013 Forester X MT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a class action lawsuit but I think they're trying to prevent me from using it due to the lack of oil change records. I am currently using the recommended 0W20 synthetic oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.