Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 Premium and also purchased a 7yr/100K extended warranty.
I prefer to have the dealer do the basic mainteance like oil changes.
I have heard that the factory oil filter is not that good, but I want to stay with factory filter especially since the bypass on the factory filter has the 23 psi on the by pass valve. What I dont like is bulk oil that they use and you never know what brand oil they are using month to month.
So my plan is to buy Castrol GTX, take it to the dealer and have them change the oil and filter using my oil and their filter. Cost comes out almost the same. 5 quarts GTX $12.00 and the dealer charges 18.00 for the change including the OEM filter, total $30.00
So, any opinions on this ? Again, I feel doing it this way I am using good oil and the same brand every time and by having Subaru use their filter and doing the labor, I wont every have to worry that they can claim the filter or my labor caused any problems.
what do ya think ?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
That's exactly what I do except I'm using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. I just take my own oil to the dealer to use. My dealer only charges me for the labor and the filter.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
When you put the word oil and opinion in the post title on this forum, get ready for some debate. :Banane37::biggrin:

I think your plan is a good one, but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of bulk oil. The non-turbo Subaru boxer engine is easy on oil. Ask your service writer or service manager what their bulk oil is.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
I always supply the oil for a service, even if the dealership uses the same oil as I can buy it in a shop on special for considerably less than what they charge.

After the warranty runs out I do it myself.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Pennz Plat is good stuff. Ditto Valvo Synpower. You can get stuff like this on sale at Wally's for cheap.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
If you are somewhat mechanical then doing your own changes gives you a chance to get to know your own car and what might be going on under the hood. With a Fumoto, the oil change is so fast and mostly clean.

Some hassle comes from getting the old oil to the recycler.

It's good idea to poke your head under the car and under the hood to see if anything unusual is going on. I found a plastic bag caught near the exhaust and was causing quite a stink. Also found leaking power steering pump. My .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts