Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Forester 2019 pzev it has just passed 1000, should I change the Oil now and again at 3500 or just at 3500 ??

Opinions please.

Glyn

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
That's what I've done on every new car I've purchased.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
On my Forester 2019 pzev it has just passed 1000, should I change the Oil now and again at 3500 or just at 3500 ??

Opinions please.

Glyn
I figured the 2019 model would be all electric and not require motor oil changes anymore.

Srry, your typo was too tempting... had to.

As far as your question, I think you're fine leaving it alone until 3750 miles. Personal preference really. But the factory fill oil has in it residual assembly lube used on the engine components and as such, there may be is extra molybdenum (anti-wear/anti-scuff) in it. So I'm of the school of thought that leaving the factory fill in until the normal recommended oil change interval (3750 for severe service which most city/suburban short/medium trip driving is) is okay and even buys you a better break-in.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,919 Posts
I figured the 2019 model would be all electric and not require motor oil changes anymore.

Srry, your typo was too tempting... had to.

As far as your question, I think you're fine leaving it alone until 3750 miles. Personal preference really. But the factory fill oil has in it residual assembly lube used on the engine components and as such, there may be is extra molybdenum (anti-wear/anti-scuff) in it. So I'm of the school of thought that leaving the factory fill in until the normal recommended oil change interval (3750 for severe service which most city/suburban short/medium trip driving is) is okay and even buys you a better break-in.
Honda definitely uses the moly assembly lube and encourages owners not to do an early change until at least 5k miles on the factory fill; Subaru does not.

I used to be a believer in one very early change, but engines are assembled with such close tolerances and cleanliness that there really isn't a whole bunch of difference in the wear metals, etc. with a brand new car. Do what your conscience tells you, but I didn't bother with my first change until 3k miles.

I switched to full syn at about 11k miles and am running 6-7k miles between changes based on my conscience. (And I have a 40-year lifelong habit of 3k mile oil changes, but just don't think today's cars need them any more--and I am not interested in consuming any more oil than I need to these days.)

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts