Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came from Toyota where maintenance and oil changes were every 6 months.

Every since I bought a 2017 Forester, the technicians say "see you in 6 months and/or 6,000 miles .." but on the sticker it is 3 months and 3,000 miles.

Am I good to wait until 6,000 miles and 6 months or am I going to blow out the engine? There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on this as it pertains to Subaru vehicles.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,922 Posts
Unless you operate your vehicle under severe driving conditions as defined in you warranty and maintenance booklet, 6 months/6,000 miles is the manufacturers recommended oil change interval.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
All Subaru Owners Manuals, as there are more than one, are available here:

https://www.subaru.com/owners/index.html

As for "severe duty" most driving, other than freeway driving, is severe.

For my severe duty Toyota use, and I mean very hard use, oil changes were every 10,000 miles. Zero oil consumption 375,000 miles later.

For our 2016 Forester 2.5, we change the oil at 6,000 miles, with easy use, or annually.

I have yet to determine what my 2019 Forester 2.5 oil change schedule will be.

From my perspective, it depends on you exact engine, how and where you drive and what oil you will use. There is no exact answer, unless you use oil analysis, to determine the useful oil life.

If you want the easy answer, read the Owners Manual for your specific car and engine.

" but on the sticker it is 3 months and 3,000 miles..
Very old school, and based on petroleum oil and sloppy engines.

Days long gone.

Your Subaru is far better built than that.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
628 Posts
With synthetics, one year/6k miles is a good rule of thumb and it's what I stick to. People have done oil analyses and there's usually still plenty of life left even at this point.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
926 Posts
As for "severe duty" most driving, other than freeway driving, is severe.
Yup, unless you're a traveling salesman, most likely your usage is considered severe. I don't begrudge frequent oil changes (mine every 3000) because nobody ever damaged their engine by putting clean oil in it too often. It's also cheap.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
312 Posts
I’d like to do the 6k miles or every 12 months intervals but concerned about factory warranty.

What if you have a major tranny/engine issue and you can only prove you had oil changed 1x yr?
Could Subaru deny warranty coverage and claim the recommended time intervals (eg every 6 months) weren’t followed??

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
515 Posts
Only if there was sludge inside the engine.

When Toyota started with the V6 there were quite a number of people with failed engines due to sludge starving the small oil passages. Not changing the oil often enough was blamed.

I'm unaware of how any warranty claim were handled.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
365 Posts
My owners manual says 6000 miles, but I change every 5k because it's very easy to remember and I'm all highway. 4 times a year and no noticeable oil consumption.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
453 Posts
Manual calls for 6,000 mile or 6 months. Oil change businesses (including the dealer) call for 3,000 miles. Who do you believe? The Subaru factory or the oil change place?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,922 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts