Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Alaska,
I'm getting ready to do an oil change on my wifes '09 Forester. I've never put a wrench on this car and she usually has the stealership do the maintenance. I would like to use a Napa Gold oil filter when I change the oil. (don't want to drive 55 miles to get an OEM filter) I thought I heard one needs a crush washer when doing the filter,is this correct? Also,I use 5w 30 in all my gas engines,is this weight of oil OK for the motor? Is there anything I need to be concerned with when doing the filter and oil? How many qts of oil does the non-turbo oil take? Lastly,are there any grease zerts I need to grease?

Thanks for the help,
Casey

i

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
the crush washer is part of the drain plug assy. If you plan on doing your own oil changes do yourself a favor and order/install a Fumoto (search) valve.

Now you'll hear from those concerned about the ball valve leaking and the fact .0000001 oz of oil is left in the pan because the treads of the Fumoto valve protrude into the pan .00001 mm.

Oh No!!! my car is ruined.

·
Registered
'08 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the crush washer is part of the drain plug assy. If you plan on doing your own oil changes do yourself a favor and order/install a Fumoto (search) valve.

Now you'll hear from those concerned about the ball valve leaking and the fact .0000001 oz of oil is left in the pan because the treads of the Fumoto valve protrude into the pan .00001 mm.

Oh No!!! my car is ruined.
I have a similar valve in my Ram w/Cummins in it. It works great with no worries. After installing it,I did have the noids for a short time thinking the vibration might make it leak. I quickly over came the noids and has been trouble free for 40K miles. I'm not worried that a couple TS of oil might be left in the pan.

Thank you fellas for the help.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,384 Posts
You don't need to replace the crush washer every time. Although it is recommended and many do. The on on there now is painted off and you need to get a small screw driver in there to get it off.

Also buy a Lisle 63600 filter wrench to use with a 3/8" long extension. Also buy Rhino Ramps.

Lots of posts on the subject. Search.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... I thought I heard one needs a crush washer when doing the filter,is this correct? Also,I use 5w 30 in all my gas engines,is this weight of oil OK for the motor? Is there anything I need to be concerned with when doing the filter and oil? How many qts of oil does the non-turbo oil take? Lastly,are there any grease zerts I need to grease?...
The washer is on the drain plug.
5W30 is viscosity recommended by Subaru and should appear on the filler cap.
Draining the oil and removing the filter can be messy if you are not prepared, so search and read the threads on it.
There are no grease fittings.
The capacities in the manual were at one time incorrect, and the corrected capacities are:
5 quarts XT when replacing filter
4.8 quarts X when replacing filter (and many of us just put in 5 even)
4.2 quarts X if not replacing filter

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... you'll hear from those concerned about the ball valve leaking and the fact .0000001 oz of oil is left in the pan because the treads of the Fumoto valve protrude into the pan .00001 mm. Oh No!!! my car is ruined.
There is no harm from any sludge, grit and debris that can't drain because of the Fumoto sticking up into the sump. That stuff just stays in the bottom of the sump.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I disagree with the capacity for the 2.5 X. I'd go with the manual, there have been NO corrections or addendums for an error that I have been made aware of. Anyone know what the 2010 spec in the owner's manual?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Anyone know what the 2010 spec in the owner's manual?
This is from my pdf copy of the 2010 US Forester OM:

Page 11-10 (Maintenance and Service):

Oil capacity (guideline):
4.2 US qt (4.0 liters, 3.5 Imp qt)

The oil quantity indicated above is only
guideline. The necessary quantity of oil depends on
the quantity of oil that has been drained.
The quantity of drained oil differs slightly
depending on the temperature of the oil
and the time the oil is left flowing out. After
refilling the engine with oil, therefore, you
must use the level gauge to confirm that
the level is correct.
Page 12-4 (Specifications):

Capacities (in part)

Engine oil 4.2 US qt (4.0 liters, 3.5 Imp qt)

Each quantity indicated above is only a guideline. The necessary quantity for replacement may differ slightly depending on the temperature and other factors.
I was not able to find any comments on capacity with- or without filter, not n/a vs. turbo. The "guideline" comments are interesting

:confused:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2010 Forester
52 Posts
The oil capacity (guideline) in the 2010 owners manual after draining and changing the oil filter is 4.2 US qt. It goes on to say "The oil quantity indicated above is only a guideline. The necessary quantity of oil depends on the quantity of oil that has been drained. The quantity of drained oil differs slightly depending on the temperature of the oil and the time the oil is left flowing out. After refilling the engine with oil,therefore, you must use the level gauge to confirm that the level is correct." I imagine that the size of the oil filter would vary the capacity at least slightly.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
My 09's OM (pages 11-8 and -9) discusses three marks on the engine oil dipstick:

1) Notch (upper mark)
2) Upper level
3) Lower level

(in part)

Just after driving or while the engine is
warm, the engine oil level reading may be
in a range between the upper level and
the notch mark. This is caused by thermal
expansion of the engine oil.

To prevent overfilling the engine oil, do not
add any additional oil above the upper
level when the engine is cold.
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto
218 Posts
There is no harm from any sludge, grit and debris that can't drain because of the Fumoto sticking up into the sump. That stuff just stays in the bottom of the sump.
If you are using any half decent oil it should be in suspension or the filter not in the sump unless it was abused.

If that's the case the oil pan would have to come off anyway to be cleaned.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
A copy of the 09 Forester Factory Service Manual's "Lubrication / General Description / Specifications" page contains this info:

Engine Oil

Total Capacity (Overhaul): 5.0 L / 5.3 US qt / 4.4 Imp qt
When replacing engine oil & filter: 4.2 L / 4.4 US qt / 3.7 Imp qt
When replacing engine oil only: 4.0 L / 4.2 US qt / 3.5 Imp qt
Thanks, Lone Ranger!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,929 Posts
I disagree with the capacity for the 2.5 X. I'd go with the manual, there have been NO corrections or addendums for an error that I have been made aware of. Anyone know what the 2010 spec in the owner's manual?
Wow, there are YEARS of discussions on the web on this topic and they include responses from SOA that indicate 4.8 quarts for NA engine capacity with filter, 4.2 without. Just do a search on this forum or on the Internet in general.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/how-much-oil-do-you-put-vs-spec-66170/index2.html

Or fill it until the dipstick shows full. Mine takes right around 4.7-4.8 quarts, which probably ties in to having .1 quart hanging on inside the motor.

Sounds like their publications department still didn't get the memo. Kind of like their NA head gasket designers not getting the memo...

George

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
And, I found this in this info in the 2007 Forester FSM:

Engine Oil

Total Capacity (Overhaul), non-turbo: 5.0 L / 5.4 US qt / 4.5 Imp qt
Total Capacity (Overhaul), turbo: 5.0 L / 5.4 US qt / 4.5 Imp qt

When replacing engine oil & filter, non-turbo: 4.2 L / 4.4 US qt / 3.7 Imp qt
When replacing engine oil & filter, turbo: 4.3 L / 4.5 US qt / 3.8 Imp qt

When replacing engine oil only, non-turbo: 4.0 L / 4.2 US qt / 3.5 Imp qt
When replacing engine oil only, turbo: 4.0 L / 4.2 US qt / 3.5 Imp qt
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I disagree with the capacity for the 2.5 X. I'd go with the manual, there have been NO corrections or addendums for an error...
As of 2009 there evidently was an error to be corrected...

January 2009
Dear xxxx:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for this inconvenience. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The correct capacity for the engine oil for the 2004 Forester XT is 5 quarts when replacing the engine oil and filter.
The 4.2 quart capacity noted in your owner's manual is for the 2004 Forester non-turbo models when just filling up the engine oil and not replacing the filter. The capacity of the non-turbo models when replacing the filter is 4.8 quarts.
We have advised our Publications Department that this information needs to be added to future Forester owner's manuals.
Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Best wishes,
John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/help-4-liters-not-full-48615/index2.html#post588838

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I would absolutely not trust SOA tech support. I'd go with the factory service manual ( posted above) which is 4 litres plus the filter capacity. This is around 4 1/2 qts NOT 5 or 4.8. Overfilled = loss of power and fuelmileage = burnoff and foaming = not good. Sorry state that the dipstick is wiggy too.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow, there are YEARS of discussions on the web on this topic and they include responses from SOA that indicate 4.8 quarts for NA engine capacity with filter, 4.2 without. Just do a search on this forum or on the Internet in general.

George
Internet? - now there a place for correct info:biggrin:
SOA? As an engineer, I take anything tech support says with a grain of salt as the information ahas passed through too many (mis)translation channels. The Factory Service Manual spec will suffice for now.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... go with the factory service manual ( posted above) which is 4 litres plus the filter capacity. This is around 4 1/2 qts NOT 5 or 4.8. Overfilled = loss of power and fuelmileage = burnoff and foaming = not good. Sorry state that the dipstick is wiggy too.
The 2010 manual as corrected will say the capacity of the X with filter change is 4.8 quarts. This applies to all the Foresters, as the size of the sump has not changed.
I and others have rounded the 4.8 quarts to an even 5.0 many times. The extra 0.2 quart spread over the area of the sump does not raise the level on the dipstick appreciably.
The sumps of all cars have at least a quart of extra capacity before the oil contacts the the spinning crankshaft. Only then do the problems that you refer to begin to happen.

Edit: I once calculated how much the extra .2 quart would raise the level of oil in the sump, and it was something like 1/4 inch.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts