Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a OCC in an '05 FXT without the snorkus mod? If so, what Oil Catch Can brand did you use and where did you manage to find space to install it?!?

I didn't find this thread anywere during my searches. This thread is on Scoobymods.com but it doesn't answer this question.

Thanks -
 

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
Joined
·
7,254 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is even though these shop based oil separators may work well they are not designed with our harsh under hood conditions in mind. Their intended environment is a lot friendlier than under our hoods.
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,458 Posts
My Helix can was installed at an angle along the inner pass. side fender wall, in front of the hole where the snorkus normally connects to the airbox. You can sort of see it in the lower left corner of this pic.



And no, my engine bay isn't always that dirty... ;)
 

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
Joined
·
12,367 Posts
I have a helix as well, what substance is in yours to catch the oil? I had mine in my wrx for probably 30,000miles and it didnt catch anything. I figure I have to insert some kind of sponge like material.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
497 Posts
helix here too...same spot as silke's. mine is empty and has collected a crapload of oil already. About 0.5-0.75in up the visible tube. glad i have it.
 

·
Registered
05 XT MT
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
pleiad7 said:
My Helix can was installed at an angle along the inner pass. side fender wall, in front of the hole where the snorkus normally connects to the airbox. You can sort of see it in the lower left corner of this pic.



And no, my engine bay isn't always that dirty... ;)
Silke.........Can you PLEASE get Subed a hanky.....Geez, thats gross...
 

·
Registered
05 XT MT
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
SuperRu said:
One thing to keep in mind is even though these shop based oil separators may work well they are not designed with our harsh under hood conditions in mind. Their intended environment is a lot friendlier than under our hoods.
Never thought of that.....Mine is in the passenger's side, far front corner of the engine compartment. I has soiled the filter but hasnt collected any oil in the capsule.....The only heat sensitive component IMHO would be the plastic collection bowl, but it is pretty thick plastic. Not sure about the inline micron filter though. I will keep an eye on it. Thx for the heads up SuperRu
 

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
SuperRu said:
One thing to keep in mind is even though these shop based oil separators may work well they are not designed with our harsh under hood conditions in mind. Their intended environment is a lot friendlier than under our hoods.
Excellent point. The max temp for that particular filter is 150F. Here is a link to the .pdf brochure.
 

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
Joined
·
835 Posts
125F, 150 PSI. I doubt the pressure is a problem;) But the temp....well, you takes your chances.....
 

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OCC - interesting options

Compressor separator is very original - nice idea. I'm thinking of something a bit larger and in stainless (I love shiny things in my engine compartment!). :)

Has anybody installed the Cusco OCC (Kastle's Korner has them)? They look smaller and might fit into the FXT engine compartment w/o making the Snorkus mod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
I used to use a Fram plastic fuel filter for a catch can on my DSMs. $4 and you just throw it away when it gets half full. Should fit easily in the engine bay. They are available with top in top out nipples and the oil level can easily be read through the white plastic.

Frank
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,167 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what do these things do, what are the benefits?
 

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
Joined
·
2,441 Posts
Oil Catch cans catches the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine. It keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions
Oil catch can is used to reduce the oil vapours from going into the air intake charge. The oil vapours will contaminate the intake charge by mixing with the air and fuel that are used to create combustion. This catch can would reduce burn efficiency and decrease detonation risk in both turbo or Non turbo cars
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,167 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Oil Catch cans catches the oil and moisture in the blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and the engine. It keeps the engine clean even under hard driving conditions
Oil catch can is used to reduce the oil vapours from going into the air intake charge. The oil vapours will contaminate the intake charge by mixing with the air and fuel that are used to create combustion. This catch can would reduce burn efficiency and decrease detonation risk in both turbo or Non turbo cars
Thanks for the quick lesson. What line is the catch can installed on?
 

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
Joined
·
4,167 Posts
Gracias Senor. I assume this would be a warranty red flag if installed...
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top