Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Will this modification void the subaru warranty?
I doubt it. I am a tech at a Honda dealership. If I had a car that needed engine work under warranty and had an oil catch can installed I wouldn’t bring it up to anyone. Dealerships still make money on warranty repairs. Only in rare and problem cars does a representative of the manufacture come to the dealership to approve warranty work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Will this modification void the subaru warranty?
There are some poor quality oil catch cans out there. If there was a leak, materials from the can breaking off, etc. and the dealer/manufacturer could prove it was the cause for the issue in question, then you'd likely be out of luck. Luckily, it's a simple job to remove the can and reconnect the stock hose. If there ever was an issue, return it to stock prior to visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
227 Posts
There are some poor quality oil catch cans out there. If there was a leak, materials from the can breaking off, etc. and the dealer/manufacturer could prove it was the cause for the issue in question, then you'd likely be out of luck. Luckily, it's a simple job to remove the can and reconnect the stock hose. If there ever was an issue, return it to stock prior to visiting the dealer.
Thanks, I have watched several videos. One claims there are several choices to approach this issue:
1. Use the catch can.
2. Use top tier fuel, change you oil, air filter, maintain/replace spark plugs per owners manual.

Why hasn’t Subaru stepped up and provided the guidance needed? By not stepping up their could get another black eye?

Also why didn’t they work with Toyota developing the Hybrid Port and Direct injection?

Many Catch Can manufactures, who is high quality and best value?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would use your best judgement on choosing a catch can. I picked the Mishimoto, because it is a company I have heard of and the price. If you think you are paying too little or for a brand you haven’t seen advertise or people talk about I would rethink.

Manufacturers don’t install catch cans or AOS on vehicles because of the addition maintenance and building cost. And unfortunately even car makers that I have good opinions of, Subaru, Honda, and Toyota, are just concerned about getting the car pass 60,000 miles. If the carbon build-up causes a misfire at 64,500 miles it is no longer their problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would use your best judgement on choosing a catch can. I picked the Mishimoto, because it is a company I have heard of and the price. If you think you are paying too little or for a brand you haven’t seen advertise or people talk about.

Looking at a cross section of the AOS manufacturers catch cans they appear to be meant for racing applications and older Subaru sedans with both PVC and the Turbo. Should I suspect these manufactures are:

1. Either willfully behind the development curve on DI non-turbo vehicles?
2. Or not enough DI AOS demand yet?
3. Or in there opinion not a problem if you use top tier gas and do the oil and filter changes per owners manual maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1. Either behind the development curve on DI non-turbo vehicles?
2. Or not enough DI AOS demand yet?
3. Or in there opinion not a problem if you use top tier gas and do the oil and filter changes per owners manual maintenance schedule?
Ahhhhhhh, sure?

I think the turbo engined cars tend to be purchased by the car enthusiast type. The cars lean more towards the sporty side and attract guys who want to work on their own car and make modifications. So The Aftermarket gives those cars more attention.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cutting to the chase I see different AOS brands are mentioned in this thread for the FOZ 2019.

Several questions:
Can the models numbers please be mentioned?
Where there any installation or any servicing limitations?
Installation location options?
I am getting a Touring would this model have different real estate installation locations issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cutting to the chase I see different AOS brands are mentioned in this thread for the FOZ 2019.

Several questions:
Can the models numbers please be mentioned?
Where there any installation or any servicing limitations?
Installation location options?
I am getting a Touring would this model have different real estate installation locations issues?

Thanks!
There's only one actual install completed on a '19 that's being discussed in the thread to this point. The OP has a link to the can used for the project in the 1st post. This is a universal design fitment so the installer needs to use a bit of creativity. The OP has described the means of routing and attachment for the installation. Your Touring trim vehicle should have the same layout as any '19 but there may be differences so take the guidelines described previously as a suggestion.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
Check out posts #34 and #44 on the "Carbon Build up" thread in this engine's folder (next thread down from this one). Spoke to the guy who posted. He was very helpful with details on his install. That's why I'm going with the same can... same can as OP of this thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mishimoto AOS can was used by the Securityguy who lives in JAX. In further reading the reviews from the AMZ link one person was concerned the can was too small after a big rainstorm and the can was 95% full if memory serves. I live in South Flo and humidity down here is totally other. If I assume that one person installed the can properly would the Mishimoto be a daily emptying chore?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
Question above..."If I assume that one person installed the can properly would the Mishimoto be a daily emptying chore?"
Answer...No

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
Finally got around to installing my catch can today. Made up a bracket from scrap and attached it to an existing fastener on the firewall. Installed a valve on the bottom so I don't have to unscrew can to drain it. Able to reach in over the fender hold bottle and open valve to drain. This is the first vehicle I've ever felt the need to install a catch can on...first DI engine. Kind of an experiment. Have 627 miles on car at the moment. Figure I'll try draining it at 1500 then every thousand or so after that. If I'm not getting much gunk out might go back to stock configuration...we'll see

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,432 Posts
Finally got around to installing my catch can today. Made up a bracket from scrap and attached it to an existing fastener on the firewall. Installed a valve on the bottom so I don't have to unscrew can to drain it. Able to reach in over the fender hold bottle and open valve to drain. This is the first vehicle I've ever felt the need to install a catch can on...first DI engine. Kind of an experiment. Have 627 miles on car at the moment. Figure I'll try draining it at 1500 then every thousand or so after that. If I'm not getting much gunk out might go back to stock configuration...we'll see
Do you see that bolt directly above the one in your pic on the firewall? That is where I attached mine. I strongly suggest you move your can and reroute your hoses because that big silver can your hoses are running over gets hot and you don't want your hoses sitting on that. I posted a pics of mine for your reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,432 Posts
I also recommend this stainless steel valve over the plastic one you installed:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZY3NQ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
Thanks for the "heads up" on location. I will check into moving hoses up off that big silver can (what is it?) it tomorrow. Yeah...Would have preferred a metal valve but this one was easily available locally (McMaster-Carr) and it seems stout enough. Don't believe chemicals in drained liquid will harm valve body or the seals....per McM-C details on construction. Hopefully it is tucked away enough where it won't get wacked.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
“Big silver thing” is your transmission cooler.

I still haven’t checked my can since install. Our Subaru doesn’t get driven much. Has been about 500 miles. Please, post your findings!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have anyone looked at the grimmspeed aos? It seems like it would work perfectly. Given it was designed for a turbo so it has one extra "in" port. In theory, couldn't one just use another screw of the same size and block off this extra port? I am tempted to purchase one and install it on my '19 forester. Only think is, I am not familiar enough with the FB25 to figure out which pipes is what. If I can get some knowledge on this, I will do this. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

·
Registered
2019 Forester
19 Posts
An AOS sounds like a good idea and I'd install one IF I knew that only condensed oil vapor was going back into my crankcase. From what I've seen and read water and fuel vapors can and do often come up through the PCV valve. Don't want those dumping back in to my engine. For now I'm going to stick with my catch can installation/experiment. If after checking drained liquid a couple of times over a few thousand miles it looks like only oil then yes, maybe I'll install an AOS instead. If it looks like a weird mixture of oil, water and/or fuel I'll stay with the CC. If nothing much every drains out I'll probably go back to the stock configuration....my 2 cents

·
Registered
2019 Forester
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Cleaned out the catch can on our ‘19 Forester for the 1st time. Car has 2800 miles. Has been 1300 miles since I installed the catch can. We are going on vacation in 1.5 weeks. Estimate we will drive about 1800 miles those 10 days so I changed the oil for the 1st time as well. I was able to easily unscrew the can with the mounting position I picked.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts