Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. i've searched this for a long time? and i still have no idea? i've gotten 4.5 quarts, 4.2 quarts. Can someone please tell me how much oil my subaru takes when doing an oil and filter change? Thank you

2002 Subaru Forester S

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
My 03X manual says 4.8 quarts which includes the filter.

Since it almost impossible to get a truly accurate reading from the dipstick except to know the
level is somewhere near the notch I would put in near the 4.5 level.

I buy the 5 Quart jug and dump in until there is still "some" remaining in the bottom. Not too scientific but there is some tolerance in the oil pan to allow for a few ounces either way.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
4.8 quarts. without filter, 4.2 quarts. with filter. I use 5 qts. also. By the time you pre-fill the filter you should have the right amount left over to fill the crankcase with, if you don't dump it in to the last drop.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Thats correct 4.8 quarts when doing the filter at the time of oil change. I can't see a reason to do an oil change and not change the filter.

I am NOW a proponent of "priming" the filter before installing. I never used to but once I saw a CEL during start up after doing a oil change that changed my mind. No sense having to clear a CEL by disconnecting the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,767 Posts
Don't be distressed by what the dipstick says after an oil change. You need to run the engine for a while and then let it settle for 15 minutes or so while parked on a level before you can get an accurate reading. Peaty calls this phenomenon the "Teflon dipstick."

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
I've been using 5 US quarts w/ filter for years in several Scoobys with no problems, the only one that takes more (that I have) is the Tribeca that takes 6 us quarts. The .2 quarts (189cc) isn't going to make a difference really. Consider the surface area of the oil in the oil pan, how much do you think it's actually going to raise the level? Not much.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,712 Posts
I'm a 4.8 qt. heretic. Every 24th oil change is free doing it my way. :raspberry:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for the reply.. when i bought my car it had everything except the owners manual.. i dont think i've ever bought a car with a owners manual before? idk where they go.. still searching a junk yard for one.. but thanks again!

·
Registered
03 Forester XS
124 Posts
Interesting. The 03 XS (AT) manual states 4.2 Q after removing the filter section. When I did the oil change I did put close to 5 Q to get to the 'full' amount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts