Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supertones installed!

I only have a quick and crappy video clip of me arming the alarm. So imagine how loud it is when you actually get on the horn.

I mounted them using a piece of 1"x.125 1018 steel that was some 25" long. I drilled a center hole and "wing" holes, and mounted them to the vertical radiator support and the two brackets that hold the top of the AC Condenser. That way, no matter what, they can't vibrate into the condenser and cause a leak. I used all stainless hardwear and nylock nuts.

I painted the bracket wrinkle-finish black, because it was the only spray paint I had. It REALLY wrinkles up when you dry it with a heat gun.

As for looks, you have to be eye-level with the horns and in direct sunlight to be able to see the red. I should have painted the bezels black, but a little red never hurt anyone. I might pull them out one day if I decide to install another set (so 6 horns total, instead of the current 4).

It is quite loud though.

I DID use a relay, so I was able to retain the factory horns, and I didn't cut any OEM wires.

Overall a good install. I'll see about getting a better picture and better video at some point.

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
That video is such a tease, I was expecting some NOISE!!!!

I feel my supertones have save me a few times.

Well done.

dm

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
NICE, i also have HST on my TLC haha i love em..... my bros VW fasty has em too....

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. They go off anytime the standard horn would.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I bought a set for my '06 WRX (back in '06) and never installed them. Now that I'm doing the Sports bumper conversion on my XT Ltd. and am installing a set of Hella Rallye Compact 4000 DRs behind the grille at the same time, I should install the Hella "ear bleeders" too I guess.

Do you have any photos of how you mounted the Supertones on the bracket you fabricated?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll take some next time the bumper comes off. I'm gonna get 2 more sets for my Outback and a set for my wifes Impreza.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On for long? They only drain the battery when they are honking, and that only happens if someone breaks into the car or if the car is running!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts