Lets get this clocked fixed...

Examination..

The first thing I noticed was that there was not a direct crack in the
solder.. it was more that the solder got stressed over time so this created
an extremely weak connection, since my clock worked for about 2
seconds here and there

Heres the "to the eye" picture

[

You may notice that the solder on #510 is pretty pathetic..

Upclose:

Hopefully it didn't turn out too dark, but you can see that it looks like
cottage cheese (sortof) whereas its all pitted

The fix:

Well you have basicly two choices here

1-) Re-solder just using the solder there, basicly using a fine tip solder
"gun" (pencil tip etc) and heating it up, thus allowing the connection to be
uniform

Or (what I did)

2-) Use step one with addition use of solder material, safest way to insure
fix will last awhile

Pictures

Soldering is done.. here are the results..

This picture allows you to see the improvement to the connection

Just a little follow up

The clock works!

and when I was resoldering #510 , I decided to do all the other similar
connections, seeing some other ones show'd signs of wear, better safe
than sorry..

There ya have it!

I'll try to get the removal pics today (though, the process is fairly straight
forward)

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Great post, Senor Subie. Good idea about resoldering the other connections as well - wish I'd thought of that!

T

·
0 Posts
So is this a fix for the infamous broken Forester clocks? I've got a 98 with a dead clock. When I looked around the forum when I bought the car it seemed this was just a common issue that I had to get used to.

I'll pop mine off next week and see if that will fix it. I'd love to have that clock working since the one on the radio goes out from time to time. It looks to be a lose connection since I can press on the corner of the LCD and the missing bars come back.

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Just fixed the clock on the wife's '00. Not only was the #510 broken but the #300 was pushed slightly sideways so the entire contact was clean off. Not sure how on earth that happened or if even the clock ever worked..... she's the 2nd owner.

Total time to fix: 15 mins

2 mins to uninstall
5 mins to find solder tools
2 mins to heatup
1 mins to solder
1 mins to test freehand in the harness
1 mins to reinstall
2 mins to put tools away
1 mins to brag to wife

So how many years were affected by this pathetic clock ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just fixed the clock in our MY01 Forester S. We've been without it for a few weeks; it wouldn't be so bad, but the wife doesn't wear a watch, our radio doesn't have a clock, and my watch has no night light on it... It was like being in a time-warp. I'm slightly embarassed to admit that it took me so long to get around to fixing it (we went several months tapping on the clock when it was dark to get it working again)...

Fast, easy fix. It required 2 tools (a screwdriver and soldering iron). I even used my father-in-law's stained glass soldering iron, because I was too lazy to find my own soldering pen in our basement...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Cool, mine doesn't work anymore too!!! i pulled it out to look at it, but will pull it out again and examine closely. Thanks for the info, will keep you guys updated on my work as well!!!! :Banane35:

·
Registered
19 Posts
top man SenorSubie.

Top man.was close to heading off to find/buy a clock when i read the thread.ten mins to fix and doing fine.no excuse to be late for work now tho.bugger!.....still,thanks. 98std

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK...mine had been acting up lately and I tried resetting the solder joints per the description.

So far so good ....the clock seems to be back to full working order.

Thanks ...clearly saved some $$$$

T

·
0 Posts
Nice man! Glad I came back to the forum and thought to search for a clock fix. 510 was actually loose inside the clock holder. Resoldered and so far so good. The other connections were still nice and shiny, so I chose to leave them alone.

T

·
0 Posts
Not sure what was ambiguous about the first post in this thread. I used those instructions and pictures and had no problems. I have put 400 miles on my car since the repair and the clock has worked just fine.

1 - 20 of 701 Posts
About this Discussion
700 Replies
500 Participants
2.5x_sleeper
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing