Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so ive had a symptom start yesterday..
when i was almost home from work.. going at a slow speed (like 20mph) i started feeling vibrations in the rear of the car n almost like the e-brake was on..
i slowed the car down.. started movin again but, slowly.. nothing..
after a turn and straightening out.. the vibration starts again along with that "rubbing" feeling in the rear (like something is rubbing against the wheels n slowing it down)..

sooo.. did a little research n found this thread on NASIOC

Noise/vibration from rear end at low speed? - NASIOC

everything there explains what i feel with the car.. i guess that means i need a rear diff :icon_sad:

ok, so here are my questions which i cant seem to find the answers for...

which R160 rear diffs are the same and interchangable between years (between wrx's and foresters)?

what else is needed for install / what should i do while im there?

anyone know of a reliable cheap source? anyone got one for sale in good condition? haha

after all this.. car seems to drive fine besides the vibe and e-brake like feeling..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dam... guess im the only one that did this to their diff? :icon_frown:

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
WRX are 3.90 not 4.44 like forester.

You need forester specific.
Are you sure its not the parking brake shoe falling apart? Remove your brake first to check.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WRX are 3.90 not 4.44 like forester.

You need forester specific.
Are you sure its not the parking brake shoe falling apart? Remove your brake first to check.
o yeaaa... i feel retarded now (bout the wrx diff).. haha but, i havent checked that 1 yet.. will do.. thanks

i was just thinkin it was the rear diff cause i DO hear some sort of clunkin goin on back there (even before puttin on KB rear diff bushings).. but when i replaced my diff fluids (which was about 500 miles ago).. no pieces of metal at all on the cap or visually seen inside.. just tiny shavings on the cap..

and as for the clunking.. i DO shift smooth so there is no clunk in case any1 thinks its from my shifting.. i admit though that when i 1st got the car.. my shift would make the rear diff clunk.. but i quickly tried to smooth that out.. i hope this isnt the result of any damage i mightve done while learning the way our cars drive

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ooooooookay... so gettin home from my ride home from work.. hooooly cow.. this HAS to be the diff or something related along the driveline.. its gotten VIOLENT!!! i denno if my 50 mile highway commute is just makin it worse or what.. but it definitely wasnt this violent earlier today.. its reeeeaally really bad when goin like 5mph.. engaged in a gear or neutral.. it doesnt matter.. as i come to a stop.. the rear SHAKES n vibrates like the rear wheels do not want to move.. it definitely feels like something is broken or on its way out..

crap...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update: Turns out the rear diff failing was due to a friend's fault!!

At my buddy's shop while finally replacing the rear diff.. my friend (who helped work on my car as we were installing a bunch of mounts and changing fluids) confesses to me that he accidentally filled the rear diff through the drain hole, hence the rear diff failing from low fluid.

His excuse was - he got distracted from a customer after draining out the fluid (meanwhile me and another guy are at the front of the car workin on motor mounts)... n when he came back, just filled it from the drain hole instead of the fill hole.

I guess he felt bad after seein me without the car for a month n the trouble i went through just for a new diff (1st one sent to me was a lemon and the warranty replacement took 3 weeks to come in!!).. BUT.. at least he paid me for it.

I'm always grateful for extra help but this journey sucked!! Some say I'm anal about certain things and always making sure stuff is straight and perfect and they all say "trust me man i got this" but, this is an example of why!! I'm just glad all is good now.

OK.. end of rant.. :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts