Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I blew up the 5-speed no biggie! Got the lgt 6-speed in and all was going well I was taking it easy to break in the new clutch (act xtss), then two days ago I had to merge on a short sweeping onramp and was in third gear rolled into it and BOOM! I got on to the freeway made it home jacked the car up and noticed that the differential (wrx 3.54 ratio) was crooked?

so I crawled my large but under that car and noticed that the right side klunk bushings are not even against the underside of the car like the drivers side is. Ill post pictures later .... so anyway I took it to the shop that did the swap and he called me and told me the left rear axle was broken at the inner joint. I told him to find me one so he found a wrx axle and put it in.On the test drive he got on it again and it has the same noise so he said I must have broken the passengers side too so he got another axle. When he went to install it he found that the drivers side had broken again! really!? so upon further inspection I found out that forester axles are longer than wrx axles by 3/8 of an inch... did you guys know this?

any how I need your help there is a bracket on each side of the car where the rear subframe attaches and there is (2) 12mm bolts and (1) 17mm bolt that runs through the bushing. If you could look at both plates and see if they are the same or if one steps down? and if one steps down what side of the car is it on? I will post pictures asap.... thanks in advance mike

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok see how the diff bushings are not straight across? and the bushing on the right side of my car is loose and tight on the left side of the car. I dont know I need help PLEASE!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its great the 5 speed was quick to 60 this pulls much harder in 4th 5th and 6th it could be a 180 mph car ... 6th gear @80 is 2800 rpm...

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
ok see how the diff bushings are not straight across? and the bushing on the right side of my car is loose and tight on the left side of the car. I dont know I need help PLEASE!!!!
As far as the red out rigger bushings go. When I was going to put them in the right side one was loose. Left one was tight. :shrug: Long story short I never put them in due to that, still sitting on the garage floor. :shrug:

I did know about the axle length.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v 6 speed smg
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
come on someone with a 2005 look under your car and see if these brackets are the same or different like mine? please!!!!!!

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Dang this makes me want to sell off my 05 STi trans for a legacy one.

joe r

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
But are the Legacy Spec B 6spd's anywhere near as durable as the STi ? I've heard the newest 6sps on the Legacy GT are not STi 6 spds, not sure about the older ones. I would love to have a lower final gear for vacation trips. I cruise down the highway around 3500rpm as well.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Dang this makes me want to sell off my 05 STi trans for a legacy one.

joe r
Since you have it, I would go ahead and keep it. The LGT6 trans is solid, but we all know the STI6 is a monster and has handled several 9 second cars' abuse.

Go luck OP, I am courious to watch this thread.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
But are the Legacy Spec B 6spd's anywhere near as durable as the STi ? I've heard the newest 6sps on the Legacy GT are not STi 6 spds, not sure about the older ones. I would love to have a lower final gear for vacation trips. I cruise down the highway around 3500rpm as well.
I researched it for a bit, and it appears that the Spec B 6 speeds are basically STi 6 speeds without the DCCD. They seem to be holding power as well as the STi 6 speeds and people really like them since they have longer gearing up top. The only downside is the Legacy 6 speed has an open front diff.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I researched it for a bit, and it appears that the Spec B 6 speeds are basically STi 6 speeds without the DCCD. They seem to be holding power as well as the STi 6 speeds and people really like them since they have longer gearing up top. The only downside is the Legacy 6 speed has an open front diff.
It also lacks DCCD and needs a new trans case to work properly but boxerfxt's trans already had all of those mods done to it(including a fron LSD I believe).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts