Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2019 Forester in April.

Only took about a month a half for me to blindsided by a deer on the way to work.

Took about 2 weeks to repair. Just got it back last week looking brand new. life goes on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh my, that's unfortunate! At least a deer has sufficiently low mass and velocity compared to another vehicle. Damage looks like it was bodywork. The wheel well looks intact. Did the deer survive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my, that's unfortunate! At least a deer has sufficiently low mass and velocity compared to another vehicle. Damage looks like it was bodywork. The wheel well looks intact. Did the deer survive?
Twas a doe. Ran off into the woods... so who knows if it lived to run at another car or dropped in the woods later. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I posted my experience several years ago about a patented electronic deer whistle system called the XP-3 Hornet.........when we lived in NJ, our area in Hunterdon County was overrun by deer and we suffered 3 hits, averaging $2500 per smack.......the NJ State Trooper on the last of the impacts mentioned that while he couldn't officially support any product, he had read the the State Police in a Midwest state were using the devices and reported that they helped........just do a search online and you'll find it. In our experience, it definitely DID help greatly.

We removed it when we moved up to NH where I traded the two cars since.

Steve

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
You might want to install deer whistles...
I have them on my bike because instead of bodywork, those dents would be me!
Downunder we call them "Roo" whistles to avoid hitting Kangaroo's, I put a pair on a car back 1975. One day another driver said to me "do they work", I said to him "dunno, haven't seen any roo's to know". >:) >:)

·
Administrator
11,780 Posts
@puffoluffagus bad luck! Damage very similar to a family member's Foz after hitting a big roo. A$11K to repair I believe.
@Subyroo I too have those "roo whistles" I'm now looking for an "emu whistle" as that is the only thing I've seriously hit in the outback - and it was a biggie. Pushed the bullbar on the ute back on its mountings about an inch; killed the emu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For having been born and raised in Iowa, i have been pretty fortunate not to have a deer encounter on the road. A buddy of mine took one through the windshield of his WRX, killed the deer and cur it open pretty bad. Inside of the car looked like something out of a horror movie (went through on the passenger side so he didnt get hurt). Glad you made it out with no injuries and the car didnt fair TOO bad.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
@puffoluffagus bad luck! Damage very similar to a family member's Foz after hitting a big roo. A$11K to repair I believe.

@Subyroo I too have those "roo whistles" I'm now looking for an "emu whistle" as that is the only thing I've seriously hit in the outback - and it was a biggie. Pushed the bullbar on the ute back on its mountings about an inch; killed the emu.
That was one unlucky Emu Kevin, normally they just dust themselves off and disappear into the distance adding salt to the wound.
I have seen an Emu at full pace hit a corrugated iron fence and open it like a can opener had attacked it, the emu escaped. They are tougher than a kangaroo IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Yep, that's the device I had on my 2003 Forester and my wife's CRV after her 3 strikes.........it definitely worked well......we used to live in central NJ which, back then, at least, was overrun with white tailed deer.

Driving at note, whenever we came down our country road, we suddenly saw 50 or more sets of eyes turn to us, reflecting our headlamps.......if we had not had the XP3 powered on, we would have continued driving, never knowing that so many deer were standing just off the road........

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad you are OK, it's a little easier to fix cars than bodies. I lived in the Midwest most of my life where deer were plentiful, knock on wood, I've never hit one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts