Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could you please clarify something for me. I am trying to find 16" rims for my 09 Forester.

When I enter my car information I get:
Wheel Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire

Unless I have a blind spot your site lists rims with every offset BUT the Subaru 48mm offset.

Why are you listing wheels for a Forester that have something other than the Subaru 48mm offset? I have to now go to the manufacturers site to find out that there is no 16" rims with a 48mm offset.

Would it not be helpful to list the offset on your website like tirerack does? Do you make customers aware of this offset issue when they are ordering? Deviating from 48mm offsets lead to bearing issues.

I do not mean to come across as being difficult. However, I am a member of this forum and I am looking for some new rims. Therefore, I thought I would start with a supporting vendor. However, your website it not useful and more importantly is inaccurate.

Cheers

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to turn this into a rant against tire shops but it forces customers like me to know a lot more than they should have to. I just want a Forester specific rim.

If I bought a 38mm offset and a bearing went.......I get the screw. Someone in Calgary last year tried this very thing for my winters. I ordered them 48mm from TR.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
Won't the offset also depend on the width of the wheel?

Stan
Yes

OEM 17x7 ET53 or 55 (can't remember)
17x8 ET48
17x9 ET42

As the wheel gets wider you move the center of the hub away from the suspension to account for the wider wheel/tire.

subieoutlaw - I do agree its annoying not to have the exact info available, not everyone even knows what offset is.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
102 Posts
wow i didn't know changing offsets will affect the bearings that bad? Cos the offroad guys always get pretty low offset wheels (0-20) and hadn't heard any complaints from them on the bearings issues?

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
pay to play, the bearing debate ends up being whether you consider them a wear item or how fast they wear. check out the hellaflush crowd of subies :N_poke:. not my cup of tea, reminds me of the stretched tire look, but whatever turns your crank.

48 is the ideal, */- to your taste (or budget)..

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
The offset debate is present in the Miata community also. Some say the bearings will fail faster (I'm sure there are facts to support that), some racers swear it isn't the case. I would look at wheels designed for Forester or Impreza and stick to those offsets. I'm running 17x7 Prodrives with +53 offset, I believe that is stock Impreza specs.

In addition to the right offset, I would suggest making sure the wheels you get are hub centric for the Subaru.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
Can I expect a response from DT?
I doubt it Outlaw, I wouldn’t expect to get an answer unless you have a set of wheels picked out, and even then I’d be surprised if they came back with the offset. DT doesn't make the wheels so they are only passing along what they can get info-wise.. I'd rather find out from the manufacture anyways.

Here is the problem; joe wheel/tire buyer drops his car off at the tire shop for new wheels. He picks from what they have sitting there ready to go and drives off with a big grin.

Now, anyone who can draw a picture, hold a ruler, and do some basic math can figure out if the offset is right or not, but a lot of wheels with wrong offsets will bolt onto your car. Too high and you are going to have clearance issues, to low and you may have wheel bearing issues. Either way it will still roll down the road for 85% of joe Q. but once you know, you know?

Those yoks come in 215/60/R17, are you sure you need to go to new wheels? for the extra 10mm of width I would go that way. think of how many trips to Kananaskis you could have done by the time you've sorted the wheels issue out?

mike

·
Supporting Vendor
2008 All
910 Posts
Hi, could you please clarify something for me. I am trying to find 16" rims for my 09 Forester.

When I enter my car information I get:
Wheel Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire

Unless I have a blind spot your site lists rims with every offset BUT the Subaru 48mm offset.

Why are you listing wheels for a Forester that have something other than the Subaru 48mm offset? I have to now go to the manufacturers site to find out that there is no 16" rims with a 48mm offset.

Would it not be helpful to list the offset on your website like tirerack does? Do you make customers aware of this offset issue when they are ordering? Deviating from 48mm offsets lead to bearing issues.

I do not mean to come across as being difficult. However, I am a member of this forum and I am looking for some new rims. Therefore, I thought I would start with a supporting vendor. However, your website it not useful and more importantly is inaccurate.

Cheers
Thank you for your post. Maybe we can help straighten some of this out for you.

First about wheel bearings: Do a search here. You will find plenty of people having issues with their wheel bearings on their foresters. In reading these I haven't seen a common issue between "offset" and wheel bearing failure for your vehicle. We don't doubt that someone, somewhere had a warranty claim for a wheel bearing that was denied due to a said " incorrect offset" but it sure makes me wonder how this was determined. Especially after reading so many claims for bearing issues here.

When doing a search by vehicle on our website you will find a wide range of offsets. We choose to show these wheel options because there are Subaru owners that are looking for a wider stance. We realize that there are some people that want to keep their vehicles as close to stock as possible but there are also people that would like a more aggressive stance as well. Showing all the wheels that will bolt up without requiring modification to the fenders, brakes, frame and suspension components helps provides a product option for both types of enthusiasts. Our website shows a wider range of offsets than some of our competitors because we physically measure vehicles for our fitment guide. This helps us provide information to those that want to push the extreme where the limits are.

Offsets: Here is a link that describes offsets and how they are measured Wheel offsets Typically the wider the wheel you decide to run the lower the offset needs to be. This pushes the wheel out to help avoid contact with the vehicles suspension, brakes or frame.

Note: Offsets are listed for every wheel on our website. Example: Using your link, the first wheel listed is a Unique Steel wheel in the size:

16X6.5 5-100/115 41B​
"41" is the offset of this particular wheel.

That is weird. If you put in an earlier year Forester you get wheels in the +45 to +50 range.
Different model foresters have different fitment clearances and requirements. Offset ranges will be different.

I doubt it Outlaw, I wouldn’t expect to get an answer unless you have a set of wheels picked out, and even then I’d be surprised if they came back with the offset. DT doesn't make the wheels so they are only passing along what they can get info-wise.. I'd rather find out from the manufacture anyways.

Here is the problem; joe wheel/tire buyer drops his car off at the tire shop for new wheels. He picks from what they have sitting there ready to go and drives off with a big grin.

Now, anyone who can draw a picture, hold a ruler, and do some basic math can figure out if the offset is right or not, but a lot of wheels with wrong offsets will bolt onto your car. Too high and you are going to have clearance issues, to low and you may have wheel bearing issues. Either way it will still roll down the road for 85% of joe Q. but once you know, you know?

Those yoks come in 215/60/R17, are you sure you need to go to new wheels? for the extra 10mm of width I would go that way. think of how many trips to Kananaskis you could have done by the time you've sorted the wheels issue out?

mike
We sponsor almost 100 different forums. It may take us a little longer to get back to you but if you post in our forum, your question will have a response. We're people just like you, we just happen to sell wheels and tires. You can also call our sales department at 1.888.459.4080 if you need a question answered immediately.

I honestly think DTD is a little misinformed on the offset issue and how it relates to wheel bearing failure on Subies, as evidenced earlier by this thread: 09 Forester, 215 65R 16 tires -- what wheels? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
I'd be happy to read more on the subject if you have seen it. I searched for "wheel bearing". I couldn't find much that related to wheels "offset" The fact is, there are many, many things that can cause a wheel bearing to go out and its almost impossible to narrow it down to one thing; road conditions, driving habits, geographic location of vehicle, the original bearing itself could be weak, wheel and tire weight could be a contributing factor as well as the vehicles brakes pad type, rotors and even the tires rubber compound. Shoot it could be all of the above really. I don't doubt that someone, somewhere had a bearing go out and tried to claim it under warranty only to be denied by Subaru due to a said incorrect "offset". If its something common on this vehicle I would gladly pass the information onto our corporate office. By all means send me the info.

-Travis

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate your response Travis.
My point is why bother entering my cars make and model if Discount tire is simply going offer wheels with an offset of 38 to 55. I have taken the time on your website to enter my car info and your site simply spits out wheels.

Though autoguide would not permit my link from working, tirerack offered rims of 48 or 50. That is it. They also offered the info with each wheel displayed on the tirerack website.

Your website assumes its users know everything about wheels and all the numbers related to it. I am not that person. Subaru says my wheels are 48 offset 5x100. That is what I want. Tirerack offers the correct wheels. Simply. Your site does not.

The end.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I appreciate your response Travis.
My point is why bother entering my cars make and model if Discount tire is simply going offer wheels with an offset of 38 to 55. I have taken the time on your website to enter my car info and your site simply spits out wheels.

Your website assumes its users know everything about wheels and all the numbers related to it. I am not that person. Subaru says my wheels are 48 offset 5x100. That is what I want.
The end.
I think Travis makes an excellent point, if say next week DT changes their website so that when you put in your 2010 forester and get only those wheels with a 48 offset we would be complaining about the lack of selection..
there are websites that work that way; no match found...:icon_frown:

they have decided to make the website list the widest possible range, outlaw only wants 48 offset, so he picks those wheels out of the list.. someone trying to get into the 245 club is going to need different offsets.

so are you watching your wheel width outlaw?
et48 is going to sit different on a 6.5in stocker that it does on a 7in aftermarket wheel.. if you are deciding that you have to have the rims match stockers measurements you'll be better off buying a set of forester 16s, than holding you breath on finding an exact match online.

myself, I would like to go a bit wider than 215, so impreza wheels with et55 are going to start causing problems..

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am keeping every dimension stock.

215/65R16
geo A/T-S

As for DT's website, try tirerack.com and see how it should work.

If there fear is "no matches" for a 48offset......BUY WHEELS WITH A 48 OFFSET. The 09 Forester is one of the most popular cars around right now and it would appear that DT has nothing to offer those that want to swap out their stock rim for something else.

No matches is a weak weak argument.

All this thread as done is make me start and end with tirerack,com

I am finished.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts