Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! As the title says, I am looking to get involved with offroad Subaru clubs in NC. I have a 2017 Forester XT and feel I want to modify it for better off-road capabilities.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or information on how I should start this journey or any communities I can get involved with and start exploring? Any recommendations for service locations are highly welcome too (in the Charlotte or greater Charlotte area).

Have a great day!

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,031 Posts
Do a search for MTN ROO (Mountain Roo). Check out Instagram as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
143 Posts
We've got a MtnRoo North Carolina chapter with a few of us in Charlotte, and you can find the group on Facebook. We've also got a group ride planned on the 23rd through the forest service roads in the great smokey mountains area which will be more than doable with a stock vehicle. You can also head up to Old NC 105, also not difficult, but good for beginners, and great views and camp spots, there's also Gorges state park, doable stock of you're fine with scraping your underside in a few spots, the climb out though raises the cvt temp quite a bit though. There's also brown mountain and Uwharrie. But you really want good tires, a lift, and skids for those. We also have random get togethers with various members of the group as well.

As for servicing, I only have experience with Williams Subaru on E. Independence, and the Woody's in Ballantyne. I recommend the dealership for standard services, and highly advise against Woody's, they can and will rip you off. Can't say anything about how they are with installing lifts and the like as I installed mine myself, but I do know a guy who used Mainline Overland in Charlotte.

·
Registered
SJ 2.5
10 Posts
OBX fozzie here, and fortunately your Forester is super capable in most situations.

You are most likely the weakest link. The best thing to do is find some dirt roads and go driving. Avoid extreme situations and water crossings unless you have other vehicles with you. My stock SJ has driven on every mile of beach on the OBX with little to no issue.

But when you do feel more confident and want to spend money on your foz, the first mod I would recommend is an oil cooler, and if you have an auto, a transmission cooler as well.

All terrain tires will provide the largest bang for the buck in off-road performance terms, and strut spacers are a more affordable way to lift you foz.

If you really want to spend a few thousand dollars you can do gravel coilovers, brembo or 4 pot brakes, a limited slip differential, etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts