Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't wait to get updates on my order. In the meantime, I am doing as much research as I can since this is my first new car purchase.

I was wondering when I finally go to pick up my car, what I should be looking for.

1) How common are manufacturing defects in new Foresters?
2) What are the most common problems in Subaru cars and Forester in particular?
3) What if I find a defect?
4) Anything else I need to know before picking up the car?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Check all fluid levels

Check the entire interior and exterior for defects/damage

3) What if I find a defect?
Do not accept the vehicle until ANY and ALL problems have been resolved.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Phone the dealership in advance, arrange the pick up for a mutually convenient time but NOT near to closing time .

Remind the dealership to please complete their mechanical pre delivery inpsection and to please ensure all tyres are set to the correct tolerances as per owners manual / placard. Any dealership worth their salt will not have an issue with this.

I tell people in advance that I'm fussy and that I will be checking thoroughly. I find doing that usually helps them to double check,
too.............

Take cloths, paper towels, dispoable gloves, torch / flashlight with you.

****Have someone else with you****. Another set of eyes often spots what the excited buyer's eyes can't.

Act in haste, repent at leisure. Take the car to a quiet area at the dealership and do your thorough inpspection before leaving the dealership.

Allow yourself plenty of time for your inspection. Do not collect at very busy times nor when close to the dealership shutting.

Take a clipboard with you with all the points written out on it that you wish to check.

Make sure that all extras you ordered are fitted correctly on the vehicle.

Take a camera with you just in case you need a pictorial record of an issue.

Examine each body panel carefully, looking for any paint blemishes or defects. Check each panel from one angle, then another. Have the other person with you double check the areas you have.

Check the tyie pressures (cold), have a tyre gauge with you.

Pull open the bonnet / hood and check all fluid levels that you can. Most can be eyeballed, pull the dipstick and check for the correct level (assuming it hasn't just run) and hopefully see that lovely clean new oil.

Check the mileage on the odometer, should obviusly be very low.

Here's a check list I got from when I lived in the UK, some bits won't apply but I found it helpful, there's loads more out there on the net.

http://www.whatcar.com/images/subscription/newcarcollect.pdf

Enjoy your car!!! :bling:

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Do I insist on the inspection before signing the papers?

Please, keep your valuable tips and suggestions flowing. This should help us - novices - avoid any regrets with our first new Foresters.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Thanks everyone. Do I insist on the inspection before signing the papers?

Please, keep your valuable tips and suggestions flowing. This should help us - novices - avoid any regrets with our first new Foresters.
Absolutely. Signing the papers is taking possession of the vehicle. If the dealer gives you any grief about inspecting the vehicle before signing for it, maybe you need to pass on the purchase and look at another dealer.

I've bought a lot of vehicles over the years and in every case, I informed the sales manager that I would be doing a complete inspection before taking delivery, including a test drive. The only time an SM balked at the idea, I gave him the option of the inspection or losing the sale of four vehicles at one time. Care to guess the outcome? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
143 Posts
You didn't mention your location (is your state a one or two plate state?), but one thing I'd do is make sure your dealership doesn't drill your front bumper for a front plate. A lot of dealerships do screw right into the bumper cover, instead of putting on a proper front plate bracket. We bought our Forester off the lot, and it's bumper cover had already been molested, but when I ordered my BRZ from the same dealership, I told them if they drilled the front bumper, they were keeping the car.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't mention your location (is your state a one or two plate state?), but one thing I'd do is make sure your dealership doesn't drill your front bumper for a front plate. A lot of dealerships do screw right into the bumper cover, instead of putting on a proper front plate bracket. We bought our Forester off the lot, and it's bumper cover had already been molested, but when I ordered my BRZ from the same dealership, I told them if they drilled the front bumper, they were keeping the car.
Thank you. I am in IN (one-plate state), but will be picking up the car in IL (two-plate state). I will make sure to call them and ask them not drill any holes for the front plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts