Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out picking up some bits the other day when I hopped back into my van and noticed the VW Caddy parked in front had:

That on the back of it....

..now I'm not Jewish or eastern European, or any one else that was overly targeted by the German eradication scheme (other than being a Brit...) so I don't draw any particular offense on my own behalf like those groups would.... but it seemed to me that whilst technically maybe it's not wrong, it seems a little inflammatory, no?

Also got me thinking of Subaru applicable things and how I've read that the rising Sun flag is a bit 50/50 amongst Japanese folk and I know I've seen those decals in some imports..

On a whole, I'm not overly bothered, I was just surprised to see it...especially on a sign written work van...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
My opinion is whether or not they intended to offend, it's just generally not an exercise in good judgement to display symbols that could be associated with negative history. Symbols such as the confederate flag, the classic hindu "peace sign," etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm. I might not be offended but definitely think it is in poor taste. But lets be honest, some people just dont care or choose not care about who they may offended.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,535 Posts
I had a rising sun hand grenade decal on my car , I believe the eagle has been a motive of the germans for a long time and even had it in cold war germany , post war .
Unfortunately its associated with Hitlers Germany which only lasted 11 years, The eagle in your link did not have a swasticker attached to it which I think is the main offensive image of that time .
The Anti iconic image of the Russians bombing the Eagle attached to the Swasticker from the Reichstag in 1945 is unfortunately associated with the Eagle.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,973 Posts
I like it. Not in the Nazi way but just looks kwl... I used to be a veedub fan and had a few things like that on my dubs. I was also born there and remember deutshe marks had the Eagle on them.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,065 Posts
Didn't that Eagle symbol start off in Germany long before Hitler and the Nazi Germany?

I don't find it offensive personally.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,535 Posts
The reason it might be offensive it because its a circular pattern with a jagged vw pattern with in mimicking a swasticker , although its clearly a vw with in the circle . and In my view only offensive in the lay out not the content
I Will say my views on this are strong and unbending but the Nazis were not the only perpetrator of horror ….
just google Jasenovac.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
343 Posts
To each their own. Considering it was Heir Hitler that commissioned the building of the VW beetle in the first place it's actually rather fitting, no? I don't condone or support the ideology that brought VW into existence, but far be it for me to judge the stickers someone puts on their cars. It is a cool design though. Legitimate question, if that very same eagle had never held a swastika in it's talons, would we perceive it the same way?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,065 Posts
To be fair, I think an Eagle emblem is a long way down the list of the USA's current problems

I do find it odd that some states are removing statues from the US civil war on the confederate side, as if to try and forget/erase that part of history, while other parts of America happily fly that flag. - Seems akin to flattening Auschwitz to forget a troubling part of history.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting mixed bag of replies.

As mentioned before, personally I can see how this just is what it is, a German eagle holding a vw sign, I guess I just view it as slightly risque and I perhaps wouldn't want to be associated with the van in case it truly does cause offense to an elderly survivor etc...

I know it's a bit of a fad now to become professionally offended at things, so I couldn't tell whether that influenced my thoughts...

As for it being 'cool', I can see your point, and I guess the Germans did have the coolest of all uniforms... but I don't think I'd share my passion with others if I started to collect it, just incase they got the wrong idea...

I think as Lockheed said, it's not so much the eagle as the fact it's the eagle clutching the circle and inside is the VW sign rather than the swastika...

Aaaaanyway, just found it surprising/interesting..

·
Registered
2013 Legacy
2 Posts
I was out picking up some bits the other day when I hopped back into my van and noticed the VW Caddy parked in front had:

That on the back of it....

..now I'm not Jewish or eastern European, or any one else that was overly targeted by the German eradication scheme (other than being a Brit...) so I don't draw any particular offense on my own behalf like those groups would.... but it seemed to me that whilst technically maybe it's not wrong, it seems a little inflammatory, no?

Also got me thinking of Subaru applicable things and how I've read that the rising Sun flag is a bit 50/50 amongst Japanese folk and I know I've seen those decals in some imports..

On a whole, I'm not overly bothered, I was just surprised to see it...especially on a sign written work van...

Thoughts?
The VW Brand is offensive to me. Volkswagen took Start up (BLOOD MONEY) from Hitler to produce the Beattle. They also used Slave (Jewish) Labor to build the Factory and cars. Till this DAY VW has not done anything to repay those that they enslaved to do work for them. They have not done ANYTHING, to repay stolen wealth, that they benefited from (Blood Money). Or, even said they were sorry for the harm they did to people. I find it funny that folks sit around the USA calling folks that they don't agree with NAZI's , then those same Justice Warriors jump in their VW's. Yep, thanks for supporting VW and the Real Nazi's!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
330 Posts
Far be it from me to get caught up in this...

But even the swastika pre-dated Hitler. There was actually a motorcycle made in Australia before 1920 which was named 'Swastika' and had a swastika as its emblem. It was, however, vertical.

·
Registered
2012 SH Forester XS Sportshift
7 Posts
This has become politicised subject, so somebody will be offended...
Joe306tow, your same objections could be made about the USA and it's economic advancement due to slavery in the Southern States. The Civil War devastated the country and recovery was dependent on retaining the industries that had previously used slave labor. European countries colonized Africa and grew rich on its minerals. That wealth remains in those countries and sustains their strength - even after WW2.

When Germany surrendered unconditionally, all industries became subject to confiscation - including VW. The Marshall Plan helped to re-establish viable industries to grow the economies again to employ a civilian population. VW was assessed as "having no commercial value whatsoever" by the military and so it was not targeted for confiscation. How wrong they were.

Back to the OP.

The Nazis politicized all the military insignia in Germany prior to WW2 to entrench their power. They took an ancient Hindu symbol (there is even one in the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi) and changed it by rotating it 45 degrees. Significant. Then they incorporated it into every insignia. The Nazi swastika is now banned in Germany and use is subject to imprisonment.
What you are commenting on is reminiscent of the WW2 Kriegsmarine (Navy) insignia which did have the Nazi swastika surrounded by a circular laurel wreath. The VW symbol has been substituted for both the swastika and the laurel wreath - a significant change, clearly intended to omit the offensive historical element.
Oversensitive? I believe it falls under legitimate freedom of expression. You may not like what somebody has to say, but it is their constitutional right and you respect the constitution, right?

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's definitely become political and I'd be happy if this gets locked/blocked... deleted or whatever...

It started out as non political and it was not my intention to put people in an awkward position. As my posts hopefully showed, it was merely a surprise to see something like that and just wondered on folks thoughts about the sticker not so much their thoughts on freedom of speech, nazi regimes etc etc.. although in hindsight it's obvious that's the way the topic could/would go.

·
Administrator
17,244 Posts
@Ianb1234
Locked permanently.

Some of these replies are not appropriate for a motoring forum so pls observe the posting rules in future e.g.

8. Political, religious, climate change or similar topics with high potential for controversy are off-limits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.