Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Impreza EJ227 JDM DCCD 6spd
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Inside tire digging through the snow on a 90-degree turn.

I've always wanted to do this for special occasions whether it was snow or off-road. I have these spare differentials; phase2 center and rear differentials (carrier with diff) that are welded. Now we all know the pros and cons, but when you are in a situation where a tire has lifted off the ground, you wished that differential had a locker or stronger LSD. This results in having to build some momentum, which in some cases may cause bottoming out and can damage the vehicle. A slow pace is best but you ultimately come to a halt with a wheel that lifts.

With the snowy roads melting away as winter is nearing its end, we decided to go testing at the local lake. This demo is driving through a medium snow drift. Larger drifts result in bottoming out and having to dig ourselves out. The snow was sticky with temperatures in the upper 30's, which can help you with traction or simply go against you when the tires run it smooth. The tires we are using are simple Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's on the OEM alloys.

I will upload other demo's as the season changes. I want to get a diagonal test in here and other tests where traction is the limiting factor. Look forward to them!

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
230 Posts
Nice !

Do you have the welded diffs in this video ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't find a good spot so i just did the diagonal right in front posture house using the snow bank.
The rear tire lift when the front went up the bank. Most cases you'd have wheel spin already.
Video in first post.

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
230 Posts
Didn't see the 2nd vid yesterday but yes, obviously, you have a welded rear diff !

How does it feel when driving on dry tarmac ? And when making a U turn ?

Is the center diff a DCCD that you can manually lock ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't see the 2nd vid yesterday but yes, obviously, you have a welded rear diff !

How does it feel when driving on dry tarmac ? And when making a U turn ?

Is the center diff a DCCD that you can manually lock ?
There is the usual binding while making turns. You can feel the steering wheel wanting to steer straight. Try launching! You'll just leave your clutch back there if you don't spin your tires.

The center diff is a spare VLSD that i welded. The rear is a diff with carrier that i picked up and welded. My stock center diff and stock rear VLSD diff/carrier are put away.

I'll make an obstacle course before the snow melts. I'll get our '10 Forester in there as well and another older Subaru auto or something.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Never had an issue with the 3-wheeled climb, but mainly the actual "diagonal" climbing, especially in the old 4EAT. I really want to see how this performs in the dry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With the 4eat the front wheels are always driven and transfer clutch driving the rear. You can 3-wheel it and it'll be fine as long as both fronts are on the ground. I tried to get the car to lift that front but the angle wasn't correct. I'll try again once i get the snow course made. :) there are a few curbs and ramps around town that I'll go do more diagonal demos.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
With the 4eat the front wheels are always driven and transfer clutch driving the rear. You can 3-wheel it and it'll be fine as long as both fronts are on the ground. I tried to get the car to lift that front but the angle wasn't correct. I'll try again once i get the snow course made. :) there are a few curbs and ramps around town that I'll go do more diagonal demos.
You could always get car ramps and offset them. Keep the sway bars connected and see how it climbs. Mine couldn't even get up simple diagonal garage ramps (in the 4EAT).

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
I'm rather surprised that no one makes something like a Lockright for the Nissan differentials that Subaru uses. Or for that matter any other traction controlled differentials. I checked both Eaton and Auburn gear and saw nothing.

I guess Subaru is depending upon traction control, computer code is cheaper than mechanical widgets. Considering how mine powered off ice and out of deep snow on one side, I guess I can't blame them too much.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
107 Posts
I'm rather surprised that no one makes something like a Lockright for the Nissan differentials that Subaru uses. Or for that matter any other traction controlled differentials. I checked both Eaton and Auburn gear and saw nothing.

I guess Subaru is depending upon traction control, computer code is cheaper than mechanical widgets. Considering how mine powered off ice and out of deep snow on one side, I guess I can't blame them too much.

Subarus use a Nissan dif?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I recommend guys who off road to just grab a kaaz/cusco 2way LSD for the rear. The center for 5spds i tell them to look at the STi 20kg; for '99+ trannys.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
I had the center clutch lock mod and dreamed of welding up the rear diff.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
I just have the whole apply brake to slipping wheel thing that is on the 2011's

if I need more than that I probably need more ground clearance too around here.

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
230 Posts
I recommend guys who off road to just grab a kaaz/cusco 2way LSD for the rear. The center for 5spds i tell them to look at the STi 20kg; for '99+ trannys.
I have a DCCD center with a manual controller, it goes from 35/65 split ratio to 50/50 locked. The drive is much nicer, no more understeering, feels like a BMW on dry tarmac and depending on the road surface (wet, snow, gravel) i can put more traction on the front and even lock it for off road. I bought a complete STI 5 speed gearbox from GB for 500£…worth every penny !

I have front and rear Quaife diffs (helical), they work great as long as the opposite wheel has a little traction but are useless with a wheel in the air….but, with a slight braking, they work like hell.

Like FuJi said, for off road use, a 1,5 or 2 way plated LSD for the rear would be easier to use (no left foot or hand braking)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
Forgive my ignorance,but how does this compare to the 4EAT 50/50 mod?
I've been stuck one or two times this winter,one time entering diagonally and my rear passenger wheel lifted. I was stuck..

·
Registered
1997 forester manual
230 Posts
The 4EAT is very different to the 5MT because it is electronically controlled. The advantage with the 4EAT is that you can lock the center diff (trick explained somewhere on the forum) and that you can crawl easier than a 5MT without low range (US specs)

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
The 4EAT doesn't have a center diff per say.
It's actually a clutch that applies power to the rear.
The lock mod makes it so when you flick a switch it fools the TCU into thinking it needs to lock the rear with the front.
Works excellent,one of the best mods I did to my Foz.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a DCCD center with a manual controller, it goes from 35/65 split ratio to 50/50 locked. The drive is much nicer, no more understeering, feels like a BMW on dry tarmac and depending on the road surface (wet, snow, gravel) i can put more traction on the front and even lock it for off road. I bought a complete STI 5 speed gearbox from GB for 500£…worth every penny !
I have a JDM DCCD 6spd with R180/brembros in my '99 Impreza wagon. I enjoy it very much. I want to grab a 6spd for my FXT to so i can have the DCCD to Lock when i need it. However they don't seem to hold as strong when we're pushing 600whp+. Lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts