Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT :'(
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tidying up the glove box and came across a 2006 Forester accessories pamphlet. In it, I saw this subwoofer that mounts under the driver seat; Part #H630SSA300. I'm considering buying it, but it says "Subwoofer/Amplifier (1 din radio)." We have the double-din radio in our FXT and an OEM "subwoofer" mounted in the side of the cargo area. Would this underseat sub work with our radio?

Will it work with an aftermarket radio [too]? I'm planning on replacing the factory head unit with something that has nav/bluetooth/satellite, and I read somewhere on here that the factory sub that we have now won't work with an aftermarket radio. (BTW, I'm open to any suggestions for a really good aftermarket head unit that has what I'm looking for and will slip right into the existing spot without any modifications; aside from wiring, of course.) The reason I'm looking at the underseat sub is because I don't want to give up cargo area for a sub box.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see a radio/electronics specific section, so I figured here would be the best place to post. I did a search, but the search doesn't complete. It just sits on a basically blank page and says "Loading..."

Thanks for the links. It's information overload for sure. So I guess the answer to my question is, with enough hacking, anything could be made to work. I was hoping for something a lot more simple. I guess I'll have to leave it to a professional to figure out.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts
If your Forester came with a factory/OEM subwoofer in the cargo area, that will be lost if you upgrade to an aftermarket head unit. You could add a single channel amplifier to power it, but not worth the hassle in my opinion..

The factory/OEM under seat subwoofer is inferior to a Kenwood or Sound Ordnance powered subwoofer. The may cost a bit more, but they offer better performance & features. The installation won't be that much more difficult than installing the factory/OEM subwoofer.

You can look over my Kenwood subwoofer installation write up here in my Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Years ago, I had an Infinity Basslink 10" bass module in a car that I had. It had one of those remotes, too. I grew to hate that thing. It seemed to never be at the proper level or frequency. Just going from one radio station to another meant changing the settings. I remember all too well how muddy it would sound when the DJs were speaking. Another bad thing about the Basslink was that the frequency and crossover controls were on the unit itself. The remote only controlled the level and power. That meant getting in the trunk to fine tune (if you can call it that) the thing. I'd settle for the inferior OEM one just for the convenience and peace of mind of not having to fiddle with settings from song to song and station to station.

I'm not looking for a "boomer," just something with more bass presence. But looking at some of the setups that people are doing with these hybrid systems, it would probably be easier to just rip everything out and go full aftermarket from the head unit on back. Maybe a shop could could fashion a piece that fits in the existing side panel in the cargo area and install a bass plate in that.

·
Premium Member
2012 2.5X 4EAT
908 Posts
Here's the Sound/Electronics sub-forum:
Interior and Electronics - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

If you do a search there for OEM sub, you'll see a lot of threads on this exact issue.

For my "system" I did it bit by bit. I found that just adding sound deadening helped a ton to add (or retain) a lot of the low end. I was still running the stock HU, with stock speakers, and no sub. Then I added new speakers (didn't do much since I still had the stock HU). Adding a new HU really improved things, then I added a Kenwood KSC-SW11 underseat sub. I'm not an audiophile and I'm very happy with this setup. The remote on the sub has level and frequency which is nice.

Basically, you might be happy with some sound deadening and a new HU without ever even needing a sub. You don't have to do everything all at once, just keep working on it til you're happy with the sound.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,586 Posts
I'm not into booming bass, neither is my son, or we would have gone with a different subwoofer. We have a Kenwood powered subwoofer in both Foresters. A Kenwood KSC-SW1 in my son's '03 X & a Kenwood KSC-SW10 in my '07 FSXT. No need to constantly adjust the settings, once you find the setting you like. I do like being able to turn off the subwoofer for the times I listen to talk radio. :wink:

I had a factory/OEM subwoofer installed in the '03 X, before upgrading to a Kenwood KSC-SW1. I just didn't feel the factory/OEM under seat subwoofer added much to the sound system. It does have controls, but they're not easy to get to. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
I was tidying up the glove box and came across a 2006 Forester accessories pamphlet. In it, I saw this subwoofer that mounts under the driver seat; Part #H630SSA300. I'm considering buying it, but it says "Subwoofer/Amplifier (1 din radio)." We have the double-din radio in our FXT and an OEM "subwoofer" mounted in the side of the cargo area. Would this underseat sub work with our radio?
That's a definite 'maybe'. Look under your passenger seat. Is there an unused wiring harness? If so, it's probably for the OEM sub.

If you should decide to go this route, look on eBay. There are usually OEM subs for sale (for good reason ;-)

Will it work with an aftermarket radio [too]? I'm planning on replacing the factory head unit with something that has nav/bluetooth/satellite, and I read somewhere on here that the factory sub that we have now won't work with an aftermarket radio. (BTW, I'm open to any suggestions for a really good aftermarket head unit that has what I'm looking for and will slip right into the existing spot without any modifications; aside from wiring, of course.) The reason I'm looking at the underseat sub is because I don't want to give up cargo area for a sub box.
Almost certainly 'no'. There are a variety of hurdles you must overcome, not the least of which is controlling the OEM sub. Remember, the controls were built-in (or programmed in) to the OEM head unit.

If you get a new aftermarket head unit (which is a really, really good idea), the OEM sub most likely won't work. That applies to the cargo area sub as well. (Yes, I know, it is possible to make either one work, but it's a major PITA and not worth the effort).

Many users with aftermarket heads get a Kenwood or Sound Ordnance underseat sub. They will wire off the aftermarket head's low-level outputs (a better idea), come with a control box, etc. They sound better than the OEM sub. And the aftermarket head sounds better than the OEM head. So, the whole aftermarket system sounds better than the whole OEM system (which sounded pretty bad by most standards).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts