Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, before I ask my question, here is info on the wiring of the sub I am referring too.

Peaty said:

3 ### 2 1
8 7 6 5 4

Code:
Pin  Function       OEM sub harness wire color 
1    Right Rear +   White/Brown 
2    Left Rear +    Violet/Brown 
3    Ground         (NC) 
4    Right Rear -   Black/Brown 
5    Left Rear -    Orange/Brown 
6    +12V remote on (NC) 
7    +12V constant  Red/Brown 
8    Ground         Gray/Brown
NC = No connection -- the factory harness has no wire at this pin position
Original Post: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/oem-underseat-subwoofer-info-199.html

So in the Sub's wiring, I would like to know if the +12V Constant power fluctuates according to the level of bass at that moment. I know that in an amplifier for after market set ups, the amp will send electricity to the sub when it hits and wont send electricity to the sub when it isn't hitting.

In other words... Is the "amp" for this sub the headunit feeding it the appropriate power when the song calls for bass, or is the "amp" actually in the sub and the constant power is much like an amps connection to the battery.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry If I dont use many technical terms.:icon_confused:
Thanks for the help.
Maximilian

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,258 Posts
On that powered subwoofer, the input appears to be high level, or speaker level & not RCA or low level input.

As to the constant 12 volt, that's tied via a fuse to unswitched (constant) 12 volts, or better, directly to the battery.

The subwoofer is turned on via the remote turn on wire, but if "NC" means no connection, then the constant 12 volt isn't really constant, but may be switched 12 volts? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This whole this is really confusing to me. I was thinking the same thing about the fact that if there is no "remote wire" then how is 12 volts constant?

I think i might go take a multimeter and actually test if the volts are constant for that one wire. :shrug:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I'm actually trying a funny/cool mod. Its a secret, so ill surprise you later! (If this all works)

Currently I am saving for a sound system upgrade though. I would really like to keep everything stealthy. When I was lifeguarding down at pritchard beach in Rainer Beach, people would park their car in the parking lot but get their amps and subs stolen because they would be seen when looking into the car. Not really a good neighborhood.

·
Administrator
41,258 Posts
I was looking at the picture you posted, which is an factory/OEM powered subwoofer. They're powered via a special in-line connector. The head unit plugs into one side & the chassis wiring on the other side. This taps off the signal & power the factory/OEM subwoofer needs to operate.

If you're doing something other than installing a factory/OEM powered subwoofer, disregard my previous posts. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright. I just took my multimeter down and checked. The wiring is indeed constant 12 volts. So tomorrow Im going to open the sub and see whats going on in there!
Hopefully I dont break it :icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
Alright. I just took my multimeter down and checked. The wiring is indeed constant 12 volts. So tomorrow Im going to open the sub and see whats going on in there!
Hopefully I dont break it :icon_eek:
I'm 99% certain that the subwoofer has the constant 12v feed for the power supply for the sub and is fed an impulse or signal from the head unit itself for when to "hit" or otherwise actuate. This also plays into the range of the sub as well since it's frequency range overlaps that of the door speakers for the low end.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok... So I took apart the sub today.

Heres what the bottom looks like. I was trying to take it apart, but the screws that held in the black plate that hold the sub in place where stripped. The screws that attach the black plate to the sub doesn't actually keep the sub closed, but it does cover one of the screws that does.

Heres what the inside looks like. I don't think anyone is interested, but just for in case here you go. :shrug:

So the voltage is constant from the harness, it is the chip in the sub that actuates the voltage for the woofer. :icon_wink:

G

·
That's a subwoofer? :crazy: It benefits A LOT from cabin gain if it can be smaller than the door speakers and add more bass. If you want a bangin' system but don't want it stolen, you can get a head unit with a removable face, and put your subwoofer box in the trunk and use the OEM cargo cover to conceal it. A bonus is that the cargo cover will flap around when you crank the subs. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
41,258 Posts
The factory/OEM subwoofer power isn't switched, it's constant or always on. It senses a signal on the left & right speakers (high level inputs) & turns on. No signal input & it powers down. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a subwoofer? :crazy: It benefits A LOT from cabin gain if it can be smaller than the door speakers and add more bass. If you want a bangin' system but don't want it stolen, you can get a head unit with a removable face, and put your subwoofer box in the trunk and use the OEM cargo cover to conceal it. A bonus is that the cargo cover will flap around when you crank the subs. :biggrin:
Oh I have everything planned out for when I upgrade my sound system. I plan to put my subs in seascooby stealth style. I also downgraded to the donut spare so I have some room to mount the amps. All that I need now is time away from school to work! This winter break I am working my arse off. By Summer I should have enough money to upgrade... I hope.

But ya the amount of bass that this thing produces amazes me, especially for how small it is. :huh:

·
Administrator
41,258 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isnt that where your aftermarket sub is? haha

I would get an aftermarket sub to fit under the seat, but my friends who I always drive get their wet shoes all over the sub. I didnt realize this until now when I took out the sub, but there are scratches and imperfections on the side where peoples feet have scratched against the sub.

·
Administrator
41,258 Posts
My '07 FSXT came with a subwoofer mounted in the cargo area, which in my opinion, was worthless. :frown:

With the installation of my aftermarket head unit, I lost the cargo area subwoofer, since it was powered by the factory/OEM head unit. This was a good thing, since this gave me an excuse to installed a Kenwood powered subwoofer under the passenger seat. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lucky!
Ah well. Sooner or later I will upgrade my audio. Then I can join this aftermarket sub club. As for now I will utilize what I have. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
41,258 Posts
You can get a very nice aftermarket head unit for cheap, if you shop around. I researched, found what brand & features I wanted. Then I searched the internet for the best deal. I found one on eBay, factory refurbished & it was perfect. :biggrin:

If you want the super loud bass, you're going to have to go with a subwoofer placed in the cargo area. If you just want good bass, you already have that. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Auto
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like bass thats clear and loud. I already have a list of what my set up will consist of, I just am waiting for summer so I can buy and install it all.

What I would like to do is replace everything.
~Swap the OEM Head Unit for a JVC Arsenal KD-A735BT
~Swap the front speakers with SPZ60 BOSTON ACOUSTICS 6.5"
~Swap the rear speakers with SPZ50 BOSTON ACOUSTICS 5.25"
~Put two Alpine SWR-843D Type-R 8" Subwoofers seascooby stealth style in the cargo area.
~Have a Rockford Fosgate Power Series T800-4ad amp power the speakers
~Have a Rockford Fosgate Power T1000-1BDCP amp power the subs.
~The amps would be hidden in the foam tray on top of the donut spare.

I want everything to be super stealthy.

However as of right now its just raising the money to buy this. My friends uncle worked for a company called speaker labs for a while and he is setting me up with some deals. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts