Make: SUBARU FORESTER
Chassis: SF5-139411
Year: 2000
Engine No: EJ20-B111053
Fuel Type: Petrol
CC Rating: 1990 CC
Number of Seats: 5
Transmission: Automatic

Engine overheated due to stupid mistake on my part. Radiator started leaking coolant and the plastic top developed cracks and now over heat after 5 minutes driving. So have decided to park it, get the usual HD, timing belt etc, in case its gasket issue, but what difference does an OEM radiator make vs a generic one?

I need advise as I am about (days away) to order a replacement one. And oh, Am in Malawi, Southern Africa, so I cannot afford to make a mistake.

please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
The oem rad seem to have this weakness. Mine also blew out in the plastic top. Overheating. The leak caused air in the system that caused the coolant to not flow around, that in turn made the car overheat quickly.
Just refilling coolant and getting the air out of the system, I got rid of the overheating problem. Not the leaking problem tho. I replaced mine with a oem replacement. No problems.
Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try this but I suspect its the HD as there is too much (was) air bubbles coming through, suggests exhaust present in cooling system, though there is no smell. Will change the radiator and what happens, hoping very hard its not the HD.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I will try this but I suspect its the HD as there is too much (was) air bubbles coming through, suggests exhaust present in cooling system, though there is no smell. Will change the radiator and what happens, hoping very hard its not the HD.
You mean HG?

Edit: Bubbles can come from the fact that your rad is leaking.

From what I "learned" Run the heat all up and fans to full and run somewhat middle high rpm I think to get air out of the system. First refill coolant and check the hoses that there is pressure in them. Someone with more knowledge should answer this. I'm just telling you what was done on my car. Tho my rad was "fixed" and it held up a year before it failed again. No overheating this time tho. So then I changed to the new rad.

Edit: With a new radiator you should also replace the rad cap. It's cheap and smart to do. A bad rad cap can cause symptoms similar to a HG failure.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Hows it going with the leak?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts