Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98&9 Forester 5MT & 4EAT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but couldn't find the answer to my question. I see a lot of helps in lowering suspension, installing Impreza components, removing factory body lift spacers, or purchasing high performance hardware, but I just need OEM-type stuff...inexpensively :) so, at the risk of getting flamed if it is there and I just couldn't find it, I'm wondered about new springs/struts for my SF.

My 98 Forester has 175K on it and is a little tired. I love it but it's utilitarian; most days it takes kids to school and me to work. On it's off days it could haul a bike on the roof rack, pull a trailer (generally a lawnmower) and, if I ever get some time off and a nice day at the same time, it could be my auto-x'er - not that I would run it with the bike and the trailer at the track - although that would be a memorable. Don't need to drop the suspension or do anything crazy (not that that's crazy, I'd love to do it but it's just not practical while living in the Pot Hole Capital of the US)...plus, running stock 15' wheels and tires would make a slammed Subaru look silly.

I'm just looking for something comparable to OEM springs/struts. I basically need to buy something that just plain works and figured that most of you have more Subaru Smarts in one finger than I have in my entire body; this would be child's play for you...so, risking further embarrassment by turning this simple question into a slighty tragic autobiography, my questions are:

Is there a new, already-assembled, ready-to-bolt-in-as-a-unit spring/strut assembly (thus avoiding the spring compressor and something I can do in my driveway)?

If not, what is the generally recommended spring/strut combo that is more OEM-like for a 1st Gen Forester?

Thanks,

~Q

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
+1 on KYB GR2 OEM Replacements. It would not affect ride height, and give you a bit of better handing.

Probably cheaper than OEM also.

·
Registered
98&9 Forester 5MT & 4EAT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen a lot about the KYB GR2s - Any idea if there's a spring / strut combo available?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Do you need new springs? Springs don't really go bad, you can just reuse them with new replacement struts. You can always pick up a set of stock later-year Forester springs pretty cheap, but they may raise the car a bit and you'll need the matching rear tophats.

Stan

·
Registered
98&9 Forester 5MT & 4EAT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd imagine after 175K the springs are at least weak. Have nothing to base that on; just firgured if I can get a new spring with a new strut it's probably better than an old spring and a new strut.

·
Registered
98&9 Forester 5MT & 4EAT
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes...

This is exactly what I was looking for - doesn't look like anything is for Subaru but I'll make a call on Monday.

If they don't make this for Scoobys, I'll probably just go with the KYB's

Thanks for the help,

~Q

It seems like you are looking for something like this:
Monroe Quick-Strut - The Professional's Choice for Strut Replacement

Didn't look to see if they have them for the Forester but it is a complete strut/spring/tophat combo that is quick and easy to bolt in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts