Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm have just over 12,700k's on the OEM Geolanders and I happened to notice something odd today. It looks as if the Geolanders are wearing unevenly - on the front two tires the outside edge of the tread appears to be wearing more quickly than the rest of the tire - any ideas?

Cheers - Steve

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
.....because the front tires are used to turn the vehicle, and the outer edge is what "rolls" under rim when you turn, so naturally (as with all vehicles and all tires), the outside shoulders on the front tires always wear quicker.

Here's a picture of what the front tires do during turning. It's an "extreme" example, but similarly, the same thing goes on when driving normally around town, just at a fraction of the degree. Notice how much of the front tire rolls underneath the wheel, which scrubs the outside shoulder. The back tires still roll, just not as much as the fronts.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I'm have just over 12,700k's on the OEM Geolanders...
Unless you've already done it, the tires were due for a rotation at 12,000 km.

HTH,
Jim/crewzer

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
That's how it is with the OEM Geos. Lots of us have encountered this.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,182 Posts
Check your air pressure as well, but keep rotating every 5 or 6 K.

·
Registered
2007 FSXT 5MT
121 Posts
Dealer had the fronts replaced under warranty at 14K because the fronts had worn almost bald on the inner edges (alignment was fine). Now the rears at 19K are down to the wear bars and it just failed inspection! I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer if they will cover replacement or at least throw me a bone- it's a little unacceptable in my book for a 3year old car just shy of 20K miles to have blown through a set of tires already and fail state inspection.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Normal? It suuuuure is. Replaced mine at 22k because those portions balded at that mileage. Rotate them and you will probably get the about the same mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts