Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more need to cut and rotate flanges!! But Supers587 needs 10 people to get another batch rolling. I totally missed the boat. I'm #5, so if you guys want to be able to change exhausts without going to the shop, help a brother out? :biggrin:

It's on RS25 but I won't link. Your desire will find it.

Mods if this is NOT ok, please delete. I just need 5 more people :( It's a limited production item that will end after this batch supposedly.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok let's explore making our own then..

Let's see.. we can use a 2.25" 304 SS inlet flange so that the cat->adapter flange can fit inside, or we can use a donut flange that is 2.25" so we might possibly use a donut gasket for it to seal really well. RVT would help there to seal even better.

2" of 2.25" OD 304 SS pipe between, and a 2.25" flange for the adapter->catback side, but if we could maybe make the pipe mimic the oem cat flange where the pipe extends past the adapter, we'd be able to use another donut gasket to seal between the adapter and an oem catback (since the midpipe starts with a donut flange), or use a flat gasket when using an aftermarket catback.

maybe i should draw this out.. MSPAINT I CHOOSE YOU!! brb la

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks Neoshi. That's just what I've been looking for. I've done two other cars the muffler shop way and always hated having to cut the flange off a perfectly good mid pipe. Did you pay up in full or just put up a deposit?

Guy

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
we can't put a deposit yet.. i missed the first batch and he'll only make second batch with 10+ people. we're at 5 with me last i saw. he usually just takes deposits though. i forgot to ask him if it's a 2" extension.. doesn't look like it... just don't send money yet! lol

this is the basic desired concept that supers has basically made tangible:

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
How about we post the photo of the adapter so people know what it is? It makes the conversion to a WRX or FXT catback a simple driveway project. And it allows you to keep your stock parts uncut to refit or sell.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Here's a photo of the adapter that mounts between the cat outlet and the mid pipe flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we're trying to convince supers to change the design to more closely match the OEM setup, either donuts on both sides or flat receptor and donut exit. or you could ask him to stick with the original flat flat.

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
we can't put a deposit yet.. i missed the first batch and he'll only make second batch with 10+ people. we're at 5 with me last i saw. he usually just takes deposits though. i forgot to ask him if it's a 2" extension.. doesn't look like it... just don't send money yet! lol

this is the basic desired concept that supers has basically made tangible:
Another productive day at work? :Banane35:

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't the 04 OBS routed just like the 98-05 Foresters and Imprezas (NA)? That would mean that the flanges are just like ours and a WRX catback would require rotating flange and extended as well. If that's the case, then this adapter would work too.

Yeah, opposedforces is showing the same PNs as 2.5is

·
Registered
2003 XTi Cross Sports 4EAT :(
1,352 Posts
neoshi,

Remember that Prodrive Forester specific axle back that JDM Junkyard was selling? Well I bought it and we came to the conclusion I need it lengthened and the flange rotated for it to fit my NA.

Would this adapter do the same thing? If so, I'd go for one if you need more people.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is for between the cat and midpipe so you'll need a midpipe from a turbo forester or wrx or sti to mate it up without need for cutting. you should be able to find one for free though.. nasioc folks seem to sell it for $20 or less.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Isn't the 04 OBS routed just like the 98-05 Foresters and Imprezas (NA)? That would mean that the flanges are just like ours and a WRX catback would require rotating flange and extended as well. If that's the case, then this adapter would work too.

Yeah, opposedforces is showing the same PNs as 2.5is

Really thinking hard about getting one of these. Kinda sucks to spend $90 on an adapter to use a free or $20 exhaust though. Pay to play as they say.

So which end of the adapter would the donut gasket go on? The side that connects to the catpipe or the side that connects to the midpipe?

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thing is.. even if you get a free catback, you will probably still spend $50-100 to modify it to put it on (unless you weld at home/friend), and another $50-100 to return to stock one day or switch to another catback. So, this would pay for itself I think, and is also a rare piece that can be resold :)

the donut gasket would go on the catback side (midpipe), though you might need one for the cat side too since that is a donut flange into the adapter.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT
3,679 Posts
Thing is.. even if you get a free catback, you will probably still spend $50-100 to modify it to put it on (unless you weld at home/friend), and another $50-100 to return to stock one day or switch to another catback. So, this would pay for itself I think, and is also a rare piece that can be resold :)

the donut gasket would go on the catback side (midpipe), though you might need one for the cat side too since that is a donut flange into the adapter.
True, good point, hadn't thought of it like that.

So double up on the donuts? I am just very wary of having leaks anywhere. Want to guarantee a great fit and tight seal

1 - 20 of 66 Posts