Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I've previously read on the forum, there is concern regarding the mounting hardware for the OEM aerobars. The concern is that anybody with a Torx-30 head screwdriver and 10 minutes, can steal your aerobars and anything mounted to them such as a Thule or Yakima box or in my case, a ski carrier. The funny thing about that is my ski carrier has a lock on it but my aerobars don't!:crazy:

The original bolts are M6 x 1.0 x 55mm and of course T-30 head but I just ordered a bulk of the following security bolts that will fit the 2009-2010 Forester. M6 x 1.0 x 60mm with a T-30 security head. Slightly long but not an issue.

The security screw look like this triple www dot spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=B136

It's not a guarantee but it will help. Anyway, LSS......I will have some for sale in the coming week in case somebody wants to buy some for their OEM Forester Aerobars. I had to buy in bulk because they wouldn't sell them individually.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
OK, so how do you install them if the regular Torx 30 driver will not work?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
I got a set of torx bits like that with the holes in the center, security bits.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
Thanks for finding this. The 4 bolts on my OEM bars nearly rusted into two pieces. Haven't been able to find replacements locally.

Will look these up and see about getting some. I know quite a few local Forester and Baja owners with roof OEM roof bars that are probably in need of new bolts.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
17 Posts
Sorry, but the center pin of those "security" screws snap right off if you wedge the right size screwdriver in and pry them to the side.

But, I guess it keeps the honest folks honest.

Ron W.

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
It is probably easier to buy the security bits than the screws in the size you need. That being said, I also have worried about my cargo on my OBL and now my Forester. I will probably get some screws too. However if people want your stuff, they will get it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As mentioned by other folks, if people want you stuff bad enough...they'll take it, including the car itself. This is just that little extra incentive for a thief to have a look and realize it's not worth the trouble and move on.

I have a torx bit that will accommodate this screw, you just need to know where to get one and your good.

If your in the Capital and want to buy a set of screws and use my tool, it's not a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts